What year did the FA allow substitutes

One of the first ones I remember seeing wearing #12 was Graham Pugh, but I am pretty sure Johnny Quinn was probably the first, as he was a very versatile guy.

Have to agree with what you say. Even though we had subs not many got used when it was first intruduced as has been stated they were for injury and not tactical .

One of the first ones I remember seeing wearing #12 was Graham Pugh, but I am pretty sure Johnny Quinn was probably the first, as he was a very versatile guy.

At the start of the 67/68 season Wilf Smith was out through injury and Quinn played at right back for a number of games.

Correct - and if I remember it was Florian Albert who supplied the cross from the right. Bene had scored a very good early opener dribbling past a few defenders - Brazil equalised not too long after - Farkas scored that stunning volley in the 2nd half and not long after Meszoly scored from the spot (before his arm was in a sling).

Yes (if I recall), Hungary were (on the tv screen) playing from right to left, The ball a played to the right wing around the half way line, collected by Florian Albert- what a great footballer he was and a striker too- as he levelled towards Brazil's penalty area, he put in a low cross that didn't touch the ground and Farkas. who hadn't stopped running for about 70 yards, whacked in a shin high volley.

Edited by St Petre
spell

Same in the 66 World Cup Finals - remember the Hungarian skipper, Kalman Meszoly, playing on with his arm in a sling in their 3-1 win over Brazil at Goodison.

1970 was the first World Cup finals where substitutions were allowed but substitutions were apparently permitted in World Cup qualifiers before then. The exact timeframe of the development of substitutions in international football is not so easy or very straightforward, to research.