Job search for a 14 year old

My son, who will be 14 in February, is desperate to earn some money, he has put his name down for a paper round but there seems to be a very long waiting list. Ideally it would be on a Saturday, i am assuming there are laws determining how many hours he can work and earn etc. Does anyone know what these are and also where he could find a job?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the link. Very useful, all I need to do now is help him find the job.

If anyone owns a business or knows of anyone needing help on a Saturday please let me know. He is hard working and conscientious.

I would imagine there will be quite limited opportunities for a 14 year old due to issues with insurance / health and safety etc.

Has he thought about offering to do odd jobs for neighbours? Like washing car, gardening etc?

Papers are dying out with the internet.

Children aren't allowed to work these days....society insists that we wrap them nicely up in cotton wool, let them get bored to high heaven, learn no skills, confidence or ability, then when they finish school they aren't good for anything and we wonder why! This generation is really leaving the future generation with nothing but massive national and personal debt, no where no live and no natural resources.

Children aren't allowed to work these days....society insists that we wrap them nicely up in cotton wool, let them get bored to high heaven, learn no skills, confidence or ability, then when they finish school they aren't good for anything and we wonder why! This generation is really leaving the future generation with nothing but massive national and personal debt, no where no live and no natural resources.

Yes they are. I think it's always a mistake to start a post with an obvious untruth personally...

Thank you very much for your uplifting and positive comments. I am sure they will be extremely helpful to a 14 year old who is actually trying to learn a skill, improve his confidence and contribute something to society rather than being bored.