Connect laptop to tv

Hi people, hope you can help I am attempting to connect my laptop to my HDTV with a VGA cable, yet the tv does not seem to be responding once I try and connect to it, just a blank screen.

Has anyone tried connecting there laptop to their tv?

Cheers

once connected you have to enable external display on your laptop, its usually Fn and one of the F keys, F4? have a look on your keyboard it will have a little monitor symbol on the right key.

Also check the resolution on the laptop, my tv will only accept 1024x768 anything else and it says no signal.

daft question - is there no hdmi connection on your laptop?

I had to configure the tv as well as change the resolution and hit Fn F8 on the laptop

daft question - is there no hdmi connection on your laptop?

I had to configure the tv as well as change the resolution and hit Fn F8 on the laptop

I wish, there is on the tv but not on laptop.. Unless i get a convertor?

What resolution did u change it to?

Connect your laptop and just try a few different resolutions (assuming you've already done the function F4 bit, or whatever function key applies to your laptop)

Remember that VGA doesn't carry sound, so sound will come from your laptop unless you have that hooked up to something else too.

Connect your laptop and just try a few different resolutions (assuming you've already done the function F4 bit, or whatever function key applies to your laptop)

Remember that VGA doesn't carry sound, so sound will come from your laptop unless you have that hooked up to something else too.

It doesn't what do i need to have sound?

sorry to sound like a dumbass,

It doesn't what do i need to have sound?

sorry to sound like a dumbass,

Unless your laptop has anything more advanced you can take a connection from the headphone socket and split that so it can be connected to your TV's line in. (assuming your TV has a line in which requires a left and right feed)

I wish, there is on the tv but not on laptop.. Unless i get a convertor?

What resolution did u change it to?

Took me a while to find it but this is where I got the info. You'll probably be able to find settings for your tv on there as well

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/513376-samsung-r86-87-88-owners-thread-optimal-settings-discussion.html

change your laptop screen resolution to 800x600. then connect it to your tv using the vga cable. then tell your laptop to send the signal to the tv screen using the function key combo. use a standard audio jack to jack cable for the sound

that's it! don't bother with a hdmi converter

change your laptop screen resolution to 800x600. then connect it to your tv using the vga cable. then tell your laptop to send the signal to the tv screen using the function key combo. use a standard audio jack to jack cable for the sound

that's it! don't bother with a hdmi converter

Sounds straight forward enough, ill give it a try.. i Just need to find a jack now...

Hope it works..

I always run a desk top speaker on the lappy for better sound ? when pluged in to tv to watch movies ect ?