Anti virus on line protection

I down loaded one of the most recommended free ant virus on line protection last night ,it took hours to down load and told me all sorts of horror stories involving my windows ten (previously had Mcafee installed now run out).

This morning all sorts of things are popping up telling me that I should should up grade and pay for this that and the other add ons to the so called free set up.

The lap top was a mess so I removed the free install.

Are free anti virus down loads a load of rubbish ,is it better to pay for the Mcafee one that came with the computer , Is it better to upgrade to a Mac , or are these anti virus deals necessary at all.

This is a big issue I have with AV software and scare mongering with an aim to get cash out of you.

Windows 10 has anti virus built in. I've not needed to use anything else in a long time. Just because the anti virus in W10 isn't in your face every 10 seconds doesn't mean it's not working.

My advice is don't pay for it, use the one built in. It's also worth pointing out that I've never seen a single anti virus program that gets everything so you have to help yourself to a degree. Don't go clicking every link in emails, facebook, twitter and web pages in general.

This is a big issue I have with AV software and scare mongering with an aim to get cash out of you.

Windows 10 has anti virus built in. I've not needed to use anything else in a long time. Just because the anti virus in W10 isn't in your face every 10 seconds doesn't mean it's not working.

My advice is don't pay for it, use the one built in. It's also worth pointing out that I've never seen a single anti virus program that gets everything so you have to help yourself to a degree. Don't go clicking every link in emails, facebook, twitter and web pages in general.

Thanks for that is there any thing to click on that informs you that the windows ten built in system is working .

Click the up arrow icon in the bottom right of your screen. You should see a white shield with a green tick in the box that opens.

Please give more information re what programme you have installed and more importantly, where you have downloaded it from. Programmes shouldn’t take hours to download and you should not have pop ups etc. At a guess, you have sourced the programme from the wrong website and inadvertently downloaded spyware with it.

You need to uninstall the programme using the dedicated removal tool. We can’t help you with that unless you say the name. After that, it might be helpful to download and run the free version of Malwarebytes, making sure you get it from the correct website.

Windows Defender will be switched off but once the AV programme is removed W10 should automatically switch it on, or inform you to do this yourself. It is an adequate AV but not the best.

The problem that you have had can be avoided by using paid for AV. They are quite cheap these days. I buy Kaspersky AV via eBay and it costs less than £10 for the year. As you are used to McAfee you could perhaps check eBay yourself for the best deal.

Edited by Jomie

As above. What AV did you download and from where?

Never heard of it, and a quick search shows some questionable reviews.

AVG and Avast are probably the best know free ones, but failing that, like people said just stick to the Windows default one.

Bleeping Computer has this article on Total AV. Is it the one you have on your computer? It includes removal information but it looks a tad complicated. It might be easier (and safer) to reformat but maybe worth having a go at uninstalling it in the first instance.

Edited by Jomie

Bleeping Computer has this article on Total AV. Is it the one you have on your computer? It includes removal information but it looks a tad complicated. It might be easier (and safer) to reformat but maybe worth having a go at uninstalling it in the first instance.

I hope its uninstalled it was a bloody mess.

Spyware can get all over the place and then re-emerge later. Have you run Malwarebytes? Also, have you scanned with Defender? Hopefully the computer will be OK now. If you want to use free AV, choose Avast as it has a good reputation. Always download free stuff direct from the company’s own website. IMHO good security is worth paying for. As you are used to McAfee, check this on eBay - £2.39 for anti virus, 1 PC license.

If an AV does not come with a link to a removal tool, then I would highly recommend for general removal of programs the use of Revo Uninstaller - get it from https://ninite.com.

I choose the advanced option which gets the application to search for any flotsam and jetsom left in the registry - it won't be able to do it post uninstallation - you need to use Revo to uninstall - it utilises an applications own uninstaller first then searches for left over rubbish.

When using the 'Advanced mode of Revo, you need to be sure that the elements you check for removal are ONLY the ones in bold black font - don't checkmark any root registry items which if memory serves me following a recent update are in red text. ;)