Sign in to follow this  

PC help please (links)

Hoping someone can help....

We've inherited a new PC from a friend, and all is well apart from the fact that I can't seem to open links from within a page. It opens up a new window, but the page remains blank. The links will work if I copy and paste them into the address bar, but not by clicking on them in the page.

Does anyone know if I have some setting turned on which is doing this, or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks

Elle

Can't help you, other than point you to the technical discussion area http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46 and a useful tech-help site called protonic.com - they may take a couple of days to get back to you, but they generally fix all problems of this ilk.

What browser are you using? It's always worth checking for updates to the software. You can generally do this through the help menu on the top toolbar.

We've inherited a new PC from a friend, and all is well apart from the fact that I can't seem to open links from within a page. It opens up a new window, but the page remains blank. The links will work if I copy and paste them into the address bar, but not by clicking on them in the page.

Does anyone know if I have some setting turned on which is doing this, or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks

Elle

Content of Web pages is not displayed when opened in a new window, are you using IE6. If you click on a link that should open in a new window, or if you shift-click on a link and choose "open in new window", only a blank window is displayed. is this what happens?

To solve this problem close all open applications and then open a command prompt (to do this select Run from the Start menu) and in the Open: box type:

regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll

It is not necessary to restart the computer

Thanks

Elle

It could well be that your friend has been using another browser other than Internet Explorer ie Firefox to cure this on the main screen click Start,then click Program Access,then click set Internet Explorer as default browser should cure problem.

Thanks :) - I've checked, it's already set to IE, so can't be that.

Savannah, you're a diamond! You've cured it!

Thanks

Elle

Savannah seems to have cured it for me! Thanks for your suggestions though,

Elle

Savannah, you're a diamond! You've cured it!

Thanks

Elle

Glad it worked for you, i did have a couple more ideas to cure the problem if that didnt work for you.:thumbsup:

13375p34k, hacker or cracker, not sure what you were refering to, but i did use 13375p34k far too often when i was younger lol. :hihi: there are a few other variations of the word *leet* which i think derived from the word *Elite*