Advice on Martial Arts

Can anyone recommend, what would be a good MA, that would train a person to effectively defend against and neutralise unstructured attacks?

By unstructured, I mean the 'attacker' doing whatever they want (within reason), so punch, kick, grapple, whatever; obviously nothing that would cause lasting damage though. Rather than defending against a predetermined set of moves or attack which you know (as defender) is coming.

Maybe something like boxing or MMA?

Hi- I've just seen this, so I'm not sure if you're still after advice. I train at Combined Fighting Arts at Manor Top (in De Hood Centre). To cut a long story short, we do our version of Jeet Kune Do, which was the art developed by Bruce Lee.

It combines a blend of Boxing, Kali/Escrima (Phillipino Martial Arts), Grappling,Wing Chun to name a few.

We train on Monday and Wednesday nights and you can find more info on the website, if you're interested https://www.sheffield-jkd.uk/

I got into it because I was after something similar to yourself ie not structured or pre-determined. It's a good, friendly club and always welcomes beginners.

Can anyone recommend, what would be a good MA, that would train a person to effectively defend against and neutralise unstructured attacks?

By unstructured, I mean the 'attacker' doing whatever they want (within reason), so punch, kick, grapple, whatever; obviously nothing that would cause lasting damage though. Rather than defending against a predetermined set of moves or attack which you know (as defender) is coming.

Hâve you had previous experience of martial arts ? Ju jitsu includes defences against strikes and hands on stuff.

Is it reasonable to presume you’ve had previous experience of martial arts and looking for something different ?

Edited by Ridgewalk

I'd definitely recommend Krav Maga. I trained for a few years before I had other commitments. I hope to return soon as it's great exercise and life insurance!

Search for Spartans Academy of Krav Maga - They run classes all over Yorkshire

I'd definitely recommend Krav Maga. I trained for a few years before I had other commitments. I hope to return soon as it's great exercise and life insurance!

Search for Spartans Academy of Krav Maga - They run classes all over Yorkshire

I was going to suggest Krav Maga/Magra ( whatever).

If you aren’t already sorted try Dronfield Wado Ryu Karate club. Train Thursday eve, Sat afternoon and Sunday morning. Mix of traditional karate, sparring and self defence. Small friendly club - search on google or facebook. Highly recommended

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll bear them in mind, but a bit skint at the moment so priorities have changed.

Thanks again,

Pretty much every martial art is supposed to work against unknown attacks.

They will almost all though practice drills against known attacks because that's part of learning. You learn these things in a structured way before you build up to being able to apply them with little or no warning.

For anyone personally I'd recommend finding something locally, if you have to travel a long way as a beginner you probably won't stick at it. Find something local, try a few different things, see what you like, find a club and an instructor you like, all these things are at least as important as identifying the 'best' martial art.