Does anyone remember "Ma" Butler and her good grub?

Are there any 'caffs' of that nature around in Sheffield or local these days? I never went, but after reading all the posts, wish I had!!!

Are there any 'caffs' of that nature around in Sheffield or local these days? I never went, but after reading all the posts, wish I had!!!

The nearest you can get nowdays are in the Castle Market, there is one at the far end of the fish section that still does the old fashioned grub with real gravy.

I worked on Solly st in the 70s & 80s, me and 4 workmates would go to Butler's most mornings for a full breakfast. The service was always quick and friendly, the staff were a great bunch of people and if Steve wasn't busy in the kitchen he would come round and chat to the customers. I remember he was a keen scuba diver and would tell us stories of his holidays in the Med.

Another good caf in the area was Joe's on Portobella st ( I think ) on the other side of the church and Jessops Hospital, again good food and lots of it, it would be hard to find places like these today.

I remember well attending the Central Technical School and at lunchtimes we would occasionally buy a small loaf each from the baker at the bottom of West street and then proceed to eat the middle out of the loaf whilst walking to Brook Hill. At Butlers Cafe we would buy a bag of chips put them inside the loaf and then eat a giant chip butty on the way back to school. Memories!

I had almost forgotten good old Ma Butler and the cheap, wholesome food she sold at her café on Brook Hill near the University. And then I saw this postcard being offered on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POSTCARD-SHEFFIELD-BROOK-HILL-BUTLERS-DINING-ROOMS-PABLO-PICASSO-VISITED-/121558979101?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item1c4d7ad21d. You could get a darn good meal for a couple of bob in the late 1960s. Her speciality was a "Cow Pie" (like Desperate Dan's but without the horns) which of course was accompanied by lashings of Hendersons. My goodness - I can smell the delicious aroma as I type this...[/color]

Good picture, and if any uninitiated think it looks small. the premises to the left was Butler's and they had a back room too. If I'm not mistaken wasn't there a framed photograph in there from the 1966 F.A.Cup final of Don Megson shaking hands with the referee Jack Taylor?

Dripping cakes to die for,,,I can taste em now just thinking about them

Didn't Boney M do a song about her?

That was 'Ma Baker' yer daft twonk lol

hey up hillsborough ure quite knowledgeable but can you remember pic on wall young lad with big grin on his face and the quote who said pie

There was also a framed photo on one wall of the The Owl's team being introduced to 'whatever Royal person' before the kick-off to the 1966 Cup Final. Sorry didn't realise this post was that old, as I have now said that twice.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Didn’t it have long wooden tables to eat off ?

I worked on Solly st in the 70s & 80s, me and 4 workmates would go to Butler's most mornings for a full breakfast. The service was always quick and friendly, the staff were a great bunch of people and if Steve wasn't busy in the kitchen he would come round and chat to the customers. I remember he was a keen scuba diver and would tell us stories of his holidays in the Med.

Another good caf in the area was Joe's on Portobella st ( I think ) on the other side of the church and Jessops Hospital, again good food and lots of it, it would be hard to find places like these today.

a bit lower down the hill in shalesmoor was the montesa transport café, in the seventies a full dinner or breakfast was a pound plus vat or £1-15 all in .

Used to get a Sunday dinner in a bowl for my granddad who lived on Beet St

I went to St Stephens in 1958/1963 failed my 11+ only 5 kids took it that year and we all failed

Was the cafe of choice at our firm and I was the shopboy.

Beef sarni and a bakewell for me and a coue of sly yorkshires on the walk back.