Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

A few vandalised bikes has certainly got them some media attention.

Nice big of advertising. Tree Huggers free loading.

Its a joke tree huggers x

I've past one this morning propped up outside a house on Whiteways Road, S4.

I've past one this morning propped up outside a house on Whiteways Road, S4.

Thank you for providing us with this invaluable information.

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 12:06 ----------

A few vandalised bikes has certainly got them some media attention.

Nice big of advertising. Tree Huggers free loading.

Its a joke tree huggers x

What does any of this mean? Have you been drinking?

Thank you for providing us with this invaluable information.

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 12:06 ----------

What does any of this mean? Have you been drinking?

You're welcome :roll:

After going on a few rides in the first week I'm not finding these very useful any more.

Last week I walked around for ages looking for a bike, visited two locations on the map but neither bike was visible. Frustratingly there seems to be no way to report a missing bike in the app? Ended up getting the bus.

Today I followed the map to a bike which *was* where it said it would be, only to be told on the app that it was "locked by ofo" due to "illegal parking" (when I got there it was parked perfectly reasonably)... why display it on the map if it's unavailable? Ended up on the bus, again.

The app is still rather clunky and needs to be regularly closed and reopened to get it to refresh the map.

Bikes which were plentiful in the first week seem to be thin on the ground now.

Hope it improves.

Notes from the council cycle forum last week (not taken by me)

3) ofo Cycle Hire report

The council gave an overview of how the ofo cycle hire had gone in the first week. They said that it had gone well, plenty of journeys. They said ofo expect a certain level of vandalism in the first few months of the scheme until the novelty wore off but that it hadn't been too big of a problem. They said that more bikes were on the way, to double the current number in the city, and that in the future more would probably be added. They said that the University Sheffield Bycycle hire service would be shut down (news to me) and that they were looking at doing something with ofo to replace it. There was talk about ebike hire, perhaps using the existing bycycle stands for that.

Anyone seen an Ofo bike in the last couple of days..?? I've been cycling around the city and have only seen one. And that didn't show up on the App.

There don't appear to be any around the city centre...??

Anyone seen an Ofo bike in the last couple of days..?? I've been cycling around the city and have only seen one. And that didn't show up on the App.

Just saw one being walked up the bottom of East Bank Road today.

Would love to see a map of the GeoFence without having to download the app.

Anyone seen an Ofo bike in the last couple of days..??

Yes, eventually...

I tried Ofo for the first time today.

Trip 1

• Walked to the nearest bike and found that the app showed it in side someone's house.
  • Walked to the next bike and found that the app showed it behind a warehouse door.
  • Walked to the next bike and found it!
  • The trip was OK.
  • The map of my trip in the app shows the correct start location and then shows it finishing just down the road from there, nowhere near where I actually finished.

Trip 2

• Walked to the nearest bike and spend some time searching for it before giving up.
  • Walked to the next bike and found it.
  • The brakes were rubbing a little but not too bad. The trip was OK.
  • The map of the trip in the app shows the start location as being somewhere I walked past on my way to the bike and the end location as just down the road from there, nowhere near where I actually finished. But the trip duration time is correct.

I thought the 14 day free period had finished but both trips were free. Perhaps they realise they have a problem and are not charging yet.

It's OK when you can find a bike but there's not enough of them to rely on that. I hear lots more bikes are on the way?

And they need a way of marking a bike as "not there" in the app.

Yep, I passed one near the bottom of Netherthorpe Road yesterday and two in separate places today while out between Hillsborough and the wholesale markets area.

All three were in use and being ridden sensibly.

I think it’s a good idea, however I wish people would not leave them in the middle of the pavement, seen one near NGH tonight and a blind person nearly tripped over.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/staff/news/bycycle-news-1.759893

The University of Sheffield is retiring its fleet of Sheffield ByCycles, the automated bike rental scheme covering campus, our student residences and the city centre.

The arrival of a dockless bike rental scheme in the city run by Ofo offers an initial 500 bikes across the city centre and the University is working closely with the new providers to ensure that registered riders on our existing scheme can transfer their credit amount for use with Ofo.

The University campus is also a priority area for the company, whose first release of 500 bikes will soon be doubled – they are gradually increasing the amount after gauging usage patterns. In collaboration with Ofo, we want to establish virtual parking hubs for University riders, increasing the reliability of getting a bike when you need one.

Darren Hardwick, Sustainable Travel Manager for the University, said: “As well as the transfer of funds for our 1,300 registered riders, we’re working with the Ofo team to establish a system where their bikes are positioned in convenient areas for staff, such as around campus and at the train station.

“Ofo offer more bikes and a flexible, easy interface for users. By working together, we aim to provide an equivalent service.”