Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Chapman brown club turn

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

20-11-2011, 07:30   #1
melcebu

Total Posts: 150
talking to mates the other night we got on about club turns and one act called chapman brown & frenchie. one of these type of acts that people would love or hate we thought it was hilarious and went all over sheffield to see them. tried googling the name and got nowt just interested if anyone can remember them
20-11-2011, 07:34   #2
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,478
I can. I remember Chapman Brown from way back - he seemed completely off the wall. Probably ahead of his time.

IIRC he always sang 'Raindrops keep falling on my head'.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha

Last edited by Ms Macbeth; 24-07-2018 at 17:32.
20-11-2011, 11:49   #3
maggie007

Total Posts: 437
the funniest club turn ive ever seen his offbeat comedy was only funny to anyone on the same wavelength
frenchy was agreat musician
i also would be curious to find out what happened to him
_______
i'm saying all the right words but not necessarily in the right order
20-11-2011, 11:58   #4
old tup

Total Posts: 1,326
I dont know if its correct but someone told me thats him on the double glazing advert,the irritating bald headed nerk in the green cloak shouting "Buy one get one free I said buy one get one free now".I should imagine he,d be older though!!.
20-11-2011, 18:03   #5
melcebu

just looked for the safestyle ad online and seen a story about the actor from the ad being nicked for dangerous driving in the yorkshire post in may 2010 gives his age as 45 so thats much to young but his name is jeffrey brown could it be his son?
23-11-2011, 20:15   #6
slammindoor

Total Posts: 162
I think Old Tup has got it in one---with the double glazing ad---I had my suspicions a few years ago when it first appeared-----and I do know that the "actor"in question is called Brown-----I SAID IS CALLED BROWN
24-11-2011, 16:09   #7
rabitter

Total Posts: 832
what a brilliant act he was.very insulting to punters in audience but hilarious if he didnt pick on you
concert secretaries jobs were made harder because they couldnt get him off stage at 10.30
24-11-2011, 18:44   #8
Benella

Total Posts: 151
I used to share a pint with this guy when he worked this area.
I believe his real name is John Chapman.
He lives, or used to live in Nottingham working for the MOD
16-05-2018, 22:40   #9
Lisajames

Total Posts: 1
Chapman Brown & Frenchie! I'm the daughter of Frenchie. I know your posts were a while ago but if you'd like anymore info on John Chapman & Alan Ball then let me know.
17-05-2018, 19:14   #10
Benella

Total Posts: 151
Nice to hear from you Lisa. I'd forgotten about this post, it was so long ago. Must have been some search to locate this thread. Now, don't tell me Chapman Brown & Frenchie have reformed & are now topping the bill at Las Vegas?
19-05-2018, 22:25   #11
melcebu

yes are they both still working in any form, and more important how are they
19-05-2018, 23:07   #12
jaffa1

Total Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcebu View Post
yes are they both still working in any form, and more important how are they
Nothing to do with this thread but your logo pic, isn't that the pic from the Mad Magazine from waaaay back? I used to buy that mag and I haven't seen that pic for years.
20-05-2018, 02:19   #13
melcebu

yes thats the one i used to read in the 60s dont think its available now checked back numbers they are expensive.
20-05-2018, 21:10   #14
St Petre

Total Posts: 295
I saw Chapman Brown at the Bellhouse Road WMC around 1974. I forget what most of his (hilarious) act was but at one point he appeared from the side dressing room- completely opposite from the rest of the act -with a blood soaked head bandage and a flag that was burnt or bullet ridden (both theatre props), not sure was if he doing something from WW1 or the American civil war. Great showman.

Last edited by St Petre; 20-05-2018 at 21:10. Reason: add
22-05-2018, 23:08   #15
handypandy

Total Posts: 2,108
I remember working with them a few times when I was the drummer at Kimberworth Pk &Wingfield. Original and hilarious and Alan (Frenchie) was indeed a fine musician.
Its 40 years ago... but I remember John talking about a comedy stunt that he was thinking about introducing. He was intending making one of THESE with a sparkler in the top and placing it on stage when the bingo was being called. I would have loved to have seen that.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 23:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Petre View Post
I saw Chapman Brown at the Bellhouse Road WMC around 1974. I forget what most of his (hilarious) act was but at one point he appeared from the side dressing room- completely opposite from the rest of the act -with a blood soaked head bandage and a flag that was burnt or bullet ridden (both theatre props), not sure was if he doing something from WW1 or the American civil war. Great showman.
I remember this gag. He marched around the stage with an intact flag and uniform....into the dressing room, where you would hear sounds of war.... he then marched back out with the props you describe .....American civil war.
Reply To Topic