Question to sheffield historians

Hi,

I found out that my great uncle was sent home from WW1 (Italy) due to serious illness after almost 4 years service. He was in Winter St hospital but his discharge date is 9 days before his death date.

I'm trying to find out where he was in those few days between discharge and him passing away.

If I order a death certificate, would it say where he died exactly, i.e. his home address or just say"Sheffield"?

It's important to me to know that he wasn't sent back to the front and spent time with his family at least - he was the same age as my son, just a boy.....

Thanks

Duckegg

Most likely. I have many death certificates of my ancestors and it says the address where they died and on some certificates it also says ' in the presence of . . '

Thanks jaffa, I think I''l get a copy then....

Have you looked at applying for his service record, that should tell you the date he was discharged from the forces, then you will know whether he was sent back or not.

Thank you gene that's worth knowing. It always costs me £9.25 every time and I, like you, have absolutely loads of them and all at that price. Wish I had known before. I haven't seen where it gave me an option. Anyway, thanks again. 

On 11/17/2018 at 7:27 PM, Duckegg said:

Hi,

I found out that my great uncle was sent home from WW1 (Italy) due to serious illness after almost 4 years service. He was in Winter St hospital but his discharge date is 9 days before his death date.

I'm trying to find out where he was in those few days between discharge and him passing away.

If I order a death certificate, would it say where he died exactly, i.e. his home address or just say"Sheffield"?

It's important to me to know that he wasn't sent back to the front and spent time with his family at least - he was the same age as my son, just a boy.....

Thanks

Duckegg

If you can tell me everything you know about him I can have a look to see if his service record has survived ( 60% were lost during WW2 bombing).

Name, rank, regiment and service number are around the edge of his medals, if you have them.

Edited by sadbrewer
Clarity

Just looked at the GRO website for copies of certificates and they are now £11.  That's 85% increase in less than two years!  Shameful.

On 01/04/2020 at 13:32, AKAMD said:

Just looked at the GRO website for copies of certificates and they are now £11.  That's 85% increase in less than two years!  Shameful.

Just checked...if you order the pdf it's still £7.00.

Apologies GRO, missed that!