Walkley working mens club

has walkley club closed for good?

Hope this is not the case. Attended a party there 3 weeks ago and didn't see any signs that it was closing.

Why do you think it has?

I have heard that it closed on Saturday (lots of members in La Plata this weekend). Might be opening as a private club

i attended a fund raising night a few years ago, three in audience says it all use it or loose it.

The fences and demolition notices have gone up and they seem to be gutting the inside.

Anyone any idea what the site is going to be used for?

They sold off most of the carpark a few years ago for housing,shame its shutting it was a nice club.

They sold off most of the carpark a few years ago for housing,shame its shutting it was a nice club.

I agree that it's always a shame to lose local social places like this, but sadly I don't think it really catered for the tastes of the younger generations, so it's days were always going to be numbered.

It did attempt to rebrand itself as "The Walkley" when it reopened about a year ago, but sadly that didn't seem to work either - they largely seemed to be offering more of the same.

I agree that it's always a shame to lose local social places like this, but sadly I don't think it really catered for the tastes of the younger generations, so it's days were always going to be numbered.

It did attempt to rebrand itself as "The Walkley" when it reopened about a year ago, but sadly that didn't seem to work either - they largely seemed to be offering more of the same.

Stocksbridge lost its only affiliated club about three years ago, we have only three private clubs left and at least one of them is struggling due to the club not keeping its self up to date.We have been having theme nights about once a month on a friday they are aimed at bringing in non members and have been a great success.The club has acts on a saturday and sunday playing to a third full concert room of the older end many of them over 70 who will make a drink last an hour and then go home after the obligitry bingo session.The club will lucky to last another 12 months but the extra housing will at least be welcome.

We attended 2/3 football functions here a couple of years ago, as I had never been in before I was amazed. It was like stepping into a time machine.

Old style carpeting, wood panelling, chairs from the 1970's and beige, lots of beige.

There even was a weird fellow on the door making sure we all 'signed in', even though we were the only ones even in the building.

Very strange place Walkley WMC.

We attended 2/3 football functions here a couple of years ago, as I had never been in before I was amazed. It was like stepping into a time machine.

Old style carpeting, wood panelling, chairs from the 1970's and beige, lots of beige.

There even was a weird fellow on the door making sure we all 'signed in', even though we were the only ones even in the building.

Very strange place Walkley WMC.

These clubs are run by a committee, usually older men, must be some women committee members but I've never seen one, they are stuck in some sort of 1970s time warp when these places were packed five or six nights a week and the money poured in.

They must get up to date with the younger generation and offer attractions for them along with wi-fi ,pool tables, chart discos etc.

As a business most are a failure, just scrapping through at the best, new housing is needed everywhere and a club will generally have plenty of space to develop it.

I hope they check the toilets before they demolish the building.

My OH had been to an exercise session there one Saturday and, as she was getting changed, she saw a hand come round the door and switch one of the lights off. She was the last one there and shouted out but no-one heard. She switched the light back on and continued changing. When she came out the building was deserted and the doors locked.

There was nobody to call, I was in Croatia at the time, so she ended up calling the police who then contacted the key holder. The manager's daughter had locked up and was the person who arrived to unlock the premises. She insisted that my OH had not been there when she locked up but could not explain how she happened to be in the building now.

She also stated that she had entered the ladies' toilet to switch the light off and that there had been no-one there. Given that there was nowhere to hide between the toilets and the exit she would not give an explanation as to how my OH had been locked in.

So, before they demolish the building make sure you know where your loved ones are.