What is the solution for fuel drive offs from garages?

I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for the people who are standing in the petrol station with the cash in their hand but no spare money in their bank account. You can attempt to force me all you like, but if the money is not in my bank account, I simply cannot comply and will drive off to buy my diesel elsewhere. Do you (as the hypothetical petrol station operator) plan on losing all of those who buy with cash?

Costco doesn’t have a problem. Obviously it is worth doing.

Costco isn't a small franchised garage that wants to drive custom into it's little shop because that's where all the (small amount of) profit actually comes from though.

I usually pay at the pump. 3 weeks ago I scanned my loyalty card and it told me to take the card out. I put my cash card in but it didn't request my pin and told me to take the car out. I filled up, approx £43. I went into the pay kiosk and gave the pump number. The operator said nothing had registered for that pump. Her mate went out to look at the pump and confirmed the £43. They said they couldn't charge me because there was no transaction registered against the pump! Unfortunately had to drive off with a full tank that I couldn't pay for. Bizarre but true.

Not a topic to worry about I reckon until petrol stations start closing en masse.

....which many have already done.

What is stated as being the reason for the closures-is it drive offs or something else?

---------- Post added 18-11-2018 at 12:40 ----------

It could work, you walk into the shop and "pre authorise" by handing over cash. If you then put in less than that, you go back and get your change.

---------- Post added 15-11-2018 at 22:01 ----------

Your disadvantage for paying cash.

I think this is the only sensible option if customers are not able to go with the flow of progress. Back in the 1980s I was one of them people. Never wanting my wages to go in to a bank account. It made life a lot easier when I conformed.