Starting off pub.

Lots of city centre pubs mentioned a few times on SF when people used to venture down town perhaps Friday or Saturday. Claymore, Stone House, Mulberry, Dove & Rainbow etc were starting points for a few but a place I never went in was the Old Queens Head (Pond Hill) , anyone recall what it was like in say 1960's-1970's. ?

Lots of city centre pubs mentioned a few times on SF when people used to venture down town perhaps Friday or Saturday. Claymore, Stone House, Mulberry, Dove & Rainbow etc were starting points for a few but a place I never went in was the Old Queens Head (Pond Hill) , anyone recall what it was like in say 1960's-1970's. ?

I only tried it once on a Friday night early to mid-60s and couldn't get past the folks in the entrance to get even close to the bar, never bothered trying again, bit off the pub crawl route anyway.:)

It was very run down in those days. Dark and dingy.

We used it when we were underage as it was off the beaten track. I remember one of the lads being taken outside for a 'talking to' by a pair of individuals claiming to be CID. We had our doubts. :)

12 hours ago, BrightonYork said:

Is it still there?

Yes it's still open. It's been done up and they serve food. Last time we were in it was quite busy.   Very different from the dark dingy place it was in the 70's.

Edited by kevvy
Text

Our starting off pub in the sixties was the Adephi when it was run by John Costello and his wife!,it  stood across the corner from the Lyceum theatre where the Crucible is now!.From there we went up to the Brown Bear then behind the City Hall to the Red Lion for a few halves,across West Street to the Wharncliffe Hotel now long since demolished!.After that the West Street Hotel to top up our gallonage,we always drank halves never pints like nowadays,I think it was all in the mind drinking halves the beer went down easier or so it seemed!.After closing time it was down to the Cavendish Night Club Bank Street until the early hours then a taxi home for 3hrs sleep before getting up for work,thinking about it now I don,t know how I did it!,I never knocked a shift but I had some epic hangovers it would be mission impossible now

21 minutes ago, old tup said:

Our starting off pub in the sixties was the Adephi when it was run by John Costello and his wife!,it  stood across the corner from the Lyceum theatre where the Crucible is now!.From there we went up to the Brown Bear then behind the City Hall to the Red Lion for a few halves,across West Street to the Wharncliffe Hotel now long since demolished!.After that the West Street Hotel to top up our gallonage,we always drank halves never pints like nowadays,I think it was all in the mind drinking halves the beer went down easier or so it seemed!.After closing time it was down to the Cavendish Night Club Bank Street until the early hours then a taxi home for 3hrs sleep before getting up for work,thinking about it now I don,t know how I did it!,I never knocked a shift but I had some epic hangovers it would be mission impossible now

We must have crossed like ships in the night .