The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

I only went in a couple of times in 1969. but one of these times I met my future husband. Still together 49 years later

On 11/11/2018 at 6:44 PM, Albert smith said:

I knew Joe very well ,he had a reputation as a bad lad around Town , I found him to be just one of the lads and no different from others around at that time ,We all used to meet in the Milton pub on Milton Street he never caused any trouble in that place ,another place we met was the El Mambo Coffee bar on the Parade at the side of Barney Goodmans shop ,a place that had a reputation as a dodgy venue, when in fact all we ever did was play the juke box and pin ball machines while trying to look tough. A lot of fallacy has been bartered around about the early sixties most of it complete nonsense.

Last week i met up with an old drinking pal from the 60,s.He also remembered Joe as being someone you spoke to but did not get involved with!

2 hours ago, dsweetman said:

Last week i met up with an old drinking pal from the 60,s.He also remembered Joe as being someone you spoke to but did not get involved with!

I was amazed at the reputation that has followed Joe around  and still am today as I found him to be just one of the lads at that time.

On 31/03/2004 at 23:20, kath said:

you didnt dream it at all every word is true!I had just to be remindered memories,ta!

Me too. :) 

Hi. Found this page when I'd googled someone from way back in Sheffield (Stuart Beresford, drummer?). Just wondering about The Buccaneer and The Raven pub-( 70's) - anyone used to go there .?Anyone remember us - Steve and Maggie Hague?

I purchased a book from a charity shop and was surprised to find a ticket pop out. Apparently it’s a ticket to a fancy dress party in The Buccaneer and cost 12/6 which was a lot of money back then. Apparently it could be around 50 years old and I was just wondering if anyone knew bathing about it.  It took place on Friday the 13th and has Sheffield district and law students written on it. 

The website I used to have dedicated to the Buccaneer Bar has long gone but you can share stuff here.    

https://www.facebook.com/groups/126261979084912

On 30/04/2004 at 11:35, Ned Ludd said:

I have to say that the ale in The Bucaneer was 'orrible and indescribable in The Wapentake....how can it taste that bad?

Some places back then were notorious for selling bad beer,  if we copped for a bad en on our crawls, we used to say,  has this been pumped straight from the Don, :hihi:.  The nightclubs used to get away with murder because people wud sup owt when they were chemixed, the clubs  probably still  do these days,  I wouldn't know, the dancing shoes are well hung up.  :headbang:

My very first town centre pub. I loved it. It felt so cool and sophisticated to my 15 year old eyes.

Happy days.