Firth Derihon Stampings, Tinsley

Still wonder what happened to Alan Jones and Harry Gilbern , who operated the drop stamps at Dunlop Street in the early 1960's forging Nimonic compressor blades for turbines.Probably Alan Jones was one of the first forgers I came across who helped a young fresh from school recruit ,me, to adapt to a working life.

There are numerous personnel who worked at Firth Derihon , Dunlop Street and Tinsley Works, that we have no knowledge of their whereabouts.Many will have 'passed' but surely some of these characters who I remember fondly from my days at this company , will have offspring who remember their parents at this company.

Mick Fairbrother Tuts gave me the nickname Gravo worked from 1970 to1982 started on the little stamps then on to 5 ton furnace man to Fred Gibson then stamper on the 8 ton and then the 18 ton.Remember most of names on here had some great times.[/QUOTHi Mick, Paul; Campsill here, I remember you being the 'Manager' of the Derihon football team, with such players as me, Steve, Roy, Gary Underhay, young Tutts, Ken Dyson, I can't remember all of them.E]

How do Peter Needham here I worked on 8 ton stamp with Phil Johnson (Jonty) Steven salt (Salty) Richard Blakeseley (Dirty Dick) I knew Jim Hall, Brian Dickinson as my father was Brian Needham their gaffer, I also was shop steward with Billy Bennet, Jonty , Dick, Paul Mackey,  had good times there also heyup mr Graham Pinder if it wasn’t for your bad shoulder I’d never have got in there 👍🏼

Link to video interviews about 1983 strike/occupation.

On 08/01/2014 at 16:58, gmarshman said:

Hello Graham Pinder,

You worked as a Works Observer at Tinsley from 1971., so would you be familiar with any other ex employees of Dunlop St, or Tinsley works. ?

I remember Joe Clayton, Forge manager , what about Tommy Smart on the 6 ton ?

Can you remember what became of Alan Bell, that is John Bells son, who I talked to when I could on visits to Tinsley. ?

There are many names that have disappeared , surely someone must know of their whereabouts.

I believe for instance Fred Turner , a brilliant jig engineer, moved to Tinsley , but I think he died.

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 17:22 ----------

Seeing Steve Salt contributing to this thread wondered if he was any relation to George Salt from Despatch /Inspection departments , and talking to Jim Hall confirmed my suspicions.

I knew George Salt well and in fact he did invite me back home on 2 or 3 occasions for tea and a beer.

Dont know how old Steve would be in those days of '61 to '64

Gary Marshman

Hi Gary I’m Steve Salt. George was my father. I worked from 1971 to 1999 at tinsley doing various jobs. Great seeing so many name mentioned here some great memories. 
good to see Graham pinder on here, up the Owls. Used to love putting stamp oil round the eye piece of that pyrometer gadget you had. Great days. 

On 02/12/2020 at 19:54, fudpucker said:

How do Peter Needham here I worked on 8 ton stamp with Phil Johnson (Jonty) Steven salt (Salty) Richard Blakeseley (Dirty Dick) I knew Jim Hall, Brian Dickinson as my father was Brian Needham their gaffer, I also was shop steward with Billy Bennet, Jonty , Dick, Paul Mackey,  had good times there also heyup mr Graham Pinder if it wasn’t for your bad shoulder I’d never have got in there 👍🏼

On 16/03/2021 at 19:53, stevesalt said:

Hi Gary I’m Steve Salt. George was my father. I worked from 1971 to 1999 at tinsley doing various jobs. Great seeing so many name mentioned here some great memories. 
good to see Graham pinder on here, up the Owls. Used to love putting stamp oil round the eye piece of that pyrometer gadget you had. Great days. 

Hi anyone remember me Martin Rowlands furnace man for Paul McKay Steve can you remember me and Steve Underay staying at your flat after night out in Sheffield good times 

On 01/01/2014 at 15:59, gmarshman said:

Good to see a recent addition to this Thread with Steve Salt.

What years were you at Derihons and what did you do ?

Although did not realise at the time Derihons was a good place to be and be thrown into an environment with a multitude of fantastic personalities , the likes of which we are unlikely to meet again.

I realise there are many of the people I worked alongside and new have passed on but there must be some still battling along.

What happened to Harry Gilbern and Jack Jones , forgers at Dunlop Street , and then Les Parkes from Die Shop, and what about Carol Ward who was secretary to the reverred Ted Leybourne who became Managing Director.

Surely someone out there knows what became of just these memorable names.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Ted Leybourne was my Grandfather, I would love to hear any memories you have of him and his time at Firth Derihon. Sadly he passed away in 1983 before I was born it would be amazing if anyone knew him! 

How many of you remember the time a motion man well that’s me Trevo B

from Darley Dale  1956-2005 yes man and boy