Clarence Street/Springfield Road Junior School

Hi Joy,

It's really nice to learn that your mum, Joyce(?) is still with us, your dad would be "Harry" then? If I remember correctly you would be Patricia? I think that your father's friend might have been my father Gordon Reaney, my brother and I lived with him at number 140 next to the Co-op where he worked for a time before becoming a roundsman. We had distant relatives, Jack and Lily Laycock next door at 142, they had two daughters. I think that Harry had a military bearing and a heck of a moustache and recall that he and Joyce were really nice folks.

There seemed to be very few cars around in the fifties and the streets quite narrow so a bit village like and by today's standards "quiet", a sprog certainly wouldn't be able to ride on the running board of a big old Wolseley car down a modern street.

It is some years since I visited the area but it was nice to see that the area was on the up and up and that some of the landmarks such as the church, the Goodyear building and what was Mudford's were still there and in use and that the Georgian houses in the surrounding streets were being looked after. When we moved away the area was in a bit of a decline ahead of the wholesale demolitions and the construction of the parkway.

The name Pinder rings a bell but I don't recall the shops that you mention. I think that there was a newsagents and a fruit shop (run by Mr Glaze?) on Broomhall Road opposite the church and Hanover Square and that there was a nursery school in a big old house somewhere close by.

My goodness! I had just logged on to write to you! I have just come off the phone after speaking to my mother and you are correct - your dad Gordon was the person my parents were fond of. My mother also remembers you and your brother as nice little polite boys.

Patricia is my first name but for some reason only known to my parents they always called me by my middle name - Joy. Just as well as ar neighbour of yours - about 5 or 6 doors down - was called Patricia Joyce. She had a sister called Barbara. Somewhere along that row of houses lived a little boy called Felix.

Best wishes Joy

Hi Joy,

It's really nice to learn that your mum, Joyce(?) is still with us, your dad would be "Harry" then? If I remember correctly you would be Patricia? I think that your father's friend might have been my father Gordon Reaney, my brother and I lived with him at number 140 next to the Co-op where he worked for a time before becoming a roundsman. We had distant relatives, Jack and Lily Laycock next door at 142, they had two daughters. I think that Harry had a military bearing and a heck of a moustache and recall that he and Joyce were really nice folks.

There seemed to be very few cars around in the fifties and the streets quite narrow so a bit village like and by today's standards "quiet", a sprog certainly wouldn't be able to ride on the running board of a big old Wolseley car down a modern street.

It is some years since I visited the area but it was nice to see that the area was on the up and up and that some of the landmarks such as the church, the Goodyear building and what was Mudford's were still there and in use and that the Georgian houses in the surrounding streets were being looked after. When we moved away the area was in a bit of a decline ahead of the wholesale demolitions and the construction of the parkway.

The name Pinder rings a bell but I don't recall the shops that you mention. I think that there was a newsagents and a fruit shop (run by Mr Glaze?) on Broomhall Road opposite the church and Hanover Square and that there was a nursery school in a big old house somewhere close by.

Nice polite little boys, oh dear, can't have been Gary and myself ! :)

Best wishes, Mick

I seem to remember girls who came from Springfield school who went on to Greystones sec mod. I recall Jeanette Lindsay, Sylvia Bolton, Diane Smith Elaine Gibbs, Barbara Fletcher, and many more.

I seem to remember girls who came from Springfield school who went on to Greystones sec mod. I recall Jeanette Lindsay, Sylvia Bolton, Diane Smith Elaine Gibbs, Barbara Fletcher, and many more.

what year were you at Greystones? I was there 58-62

56-60. I turned 15 in the November and left that Christmas. Hated school, but liked some of the teachers.

56-60. I turned 15 in the November and left that Christmas. Hated school, but liked some of the teachers.

Some of those teachers came from Pomona street school when Greystones became a Secondary Modern, I went to Pomona so was taught by a lot of those teachers which made going up to Greystones a lot easier

Who were those teachers, can you remember?

I only remember a few names Mr Morris, Miss Hornsea, Mrs Havenhand