The best bar in the country is Public in Sheffield

Probably not.

But the accessible toilets were.

Where are this operator's accessible bars?

Great gatsby. Same owner, no steps.

---------- Post added 30-10-2018 at 19:10 ----------

That might be why it closed. Haven't all businesses got to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people or did I miss the memo where the pub trade doesn't have to?

And there's the key - reasonable adjustments. It's a below ground level ex public toilet below the grade 1 listed town hall thats big enough to accommodate 40 people, including staff. There isn't much room for reasonable adjustment.

Great gatsby. Same owner, no steps.

---------- Post added 30-10-2018 at 19:10 ----------

And there's the key - reasonable adjustments. It's a below ground level ex public toilet below the grade 1 listed town hall thats big enough to accommodate 40 people, including staff. There isn't much room for reasonable adjustment.

I know a lot of the pubs I remember in Sheffield are long gone, but very few of them could have been made into a wheelchair access establishment, even ones big enough, would have been cost prohibitive. However, saying that, I would have thought a new venture might have had a hard time building a pub from scratch without access. Then again there must have been some way around the law in a conversion project.

Where I live there are 3 pubs within a 5-minute walk from me and all three don't have wheelchair access, as all three have their toilets downstairs. In all cases you could drive a mobility scooter in, but you would have to be able to negotiate steps should you have to visit the toilet.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Does anyone know anything more about this. I saw an article in Sheffield Star about it I think l it was last year. The public toilets next to the Town Hall and Peace Gardens is to be turned into a Speak Easy bar. If so it sounds fab. Are those toilets still open?  I thought they closed years ago. They always look closed whenever I go passed. I remember going in them with my mother years ago. They always smelled so bad. I think everybody used them. Even the homeless people back then. 

Tin Star 

Edited by TinStar
Correct Grammar

Guest makapaka
26 minutes ago, TinStar said:

Does anyone know anything more about this. I saw an article in Sheffield Star about it I think l it was last year. The public toilets next to the Town Hall and Peace Gardens is to be turned into a Speak Easy bar. If so it sounds fab. Are those toilets still open?  I thought they closed years ago. They always look closed whenever I go passed. I remember going in them with my mother years ago. They always smelled so bad. I think everybody used them. Even the homeless people back then. 

Tin Star 

It's been open for about a year. Called "Public" and has won awards recently.

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It's been open for about a year. Called "Public" and has won awards recently.

Yes - best place to drink in the country I believe (according to the observer). 

Cant say I was all that impressed when I went, perfectly nice enough but the server we had didn’t seem particularly enthused to be there.. 

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful replies. Damn I need to visit then. It's right up my street. I can't believe that I didn't know it had opened already lol. :) 

10 hours ago, TinStar said:

Tin Star 

The new  place 'Public' below the town hall is on the Surrey Street side and was a men's toilet. However as you mentioned  the Peace Gardens side, there used to be a ladies convenience there, perhaps there are plans for that.

5 minutes ago, St Petre said:

The new  place 'Public' below the town hall is on the Surrey Street side and was a men's toilet. However as you mentioned  the Peace Gardens side, there used to be a ladies convenience there, perhaps there are plans for that.

There is only one set of steps in the 'ladies toilet' making it difficult to offer an alternative means of escape in the event of fire. 

15 hours ago, St Petre said:

Ahhh ok thank you. I thought it was at the side where the ladies was. :) 

14 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

There is only one set of steps in the 'ladies toilet' making it difficult to offer an alternative means of escape in the event of fire. 

That's bad isn't it? surely you would think health and safety wouldn't allow that? especially nowadays when everyone is so health and safety mad. :) 

Edited by TinStar
Spelling Error