Help needed with Palfreyman family in Sheffield.

Hello are there any Palfreymans out there. the brother of my 2xgreat grand father went to live in Sheffield in the mid 1800's . his name was John Palfreyman he was born in Atherston in Warwickshire in 1826. he came to Wednesbury in the midlands. before going to live in Sheffield. his wife was Jane Smith. and i know he had 2 sons. Arhur born 1885 in Sheffield. and William born 1889 in Sheffield. can any one help me please.

In the late 1950's worked alongside a Wilf Palfreyman at the River Don Steel Work.

I do not have any details about him apart from he was in his fifties and wore specs and everyday he cooked his own dinner on the furnace.

Maybe someone else has further details.

I hope this snippet is of interest?

Happy Days! PopT

Hi susyswan - welcome to the SheffieldForum!.:). I imagine you have census data but, for example, the family turns up in the 1891 census - John Palfreyman and Jane E. Palfreyman living in Canada Street, Brightside, with children Miriam, Hannah, Arthur and William. Arthur appears in the 1911 census in Sheffield, married to Louisa and with a daughter Phyllis. Let me know if you need scans of the census return pages.

Edited by hillsbro

Thank you for your reply. i have census data for the family from 1891-1911. in the 1911 census William is living with his mother Jane still at canada street. there are 2 grandaughters living with Jane. these could be daughters of Arthur.

My father's first wife was named Annie Palfreyman. she was born 10.8.1908.

Her father was named William, and her mother was Louisa Amelia Palfreyman. formerly French. Their address at the time was Highhouse Road , Sheffield.

Annie was known to my father as Nancy.

Nancy was living with an aunt in the public house The Shakespeare, Shalesmoor, Sheffield at the time of the marriage in 1928.

Hoping this might help with your family history.

My father's first wife was named Annie Palfreyman. she was born 10.8.1908.

Her father was named William, and her mother was Louisa Amelia Palfreyman. formerly French. Their address at the time was Highhouse Road , Sheffield.

Annie was known to my father as Nancy.

Nancy was living with an aunt in the public house The Shakespeare, Shalesmoor, Sheffield at the time of the marriage in 1928.

Hoping this might help with your family history.

hiya, i knew a palfreyman. he was an old chap around 1957/8 and he lived in headford st broomhall, that is all i can tell you im afraid.

There was a family called Palfreyman who lived on Gaunt Close, Gleadless Valley in the 1960s, opposie my grandparents.

Hello are there any Palfreymans out there. the brother of my 2xgreat grand father went to live in Sheffield in the mid 1800's . his name was John Palfreyman he was born in Atherston in Warwickshire in 1826. he came to Wednesbury in the midlands. before going to live in Sheffield. his wife was Jane Smith. and i know he had 2 sons. Arhur born 1885 in Sheffield. and William born 1889 in Sheffield. can any one help me please.

I was at college with a John Palfreyman who lived somewhere off Ecclesall Road, probably puts him round retirement age now.

Thank you all for your reply's. they are a great help.

Thank you all for your reply's. they are a great help.

Came across a Palfreyman on Valley Road, Meersbrook 1911 whilst looking for someone else.

There are 8 Palfreymans (Palfreymen?) listed in the 'phone book, you could try there.

There was a family called Palfreyman who lived on Gaunt Close, Gleadless Valley in the 1960s, opposie my grandparents.

I remember Andrew Pallfreyman.