R.I.P Mark E Smith

Jesus, this and Ursula Le Guin in one day. I bloody love The Fall - they have produced probably the finest body of work of any modern British band (IMHO). And despite Smith's personal faults, the Fall was always really about him, and they were great. A wonky but genuine, maverick bona fide genius. We'll never see the like of him again.

The Fall - Victoria

The Fall - Bingo masters breakout

Edited by melthebell

They made some genuinely brilliant music - loved 'Hit The North', one of my fave songs from the 1980s.

I remember Smith on Newsnight, after the death of John Peel, gurning his way through the interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWFDrslHyvg.

Edited by Mister M

John Peel will have got him in doing a session as we speak.

RIP .... you were unique.

A sad day.

I haven't listened to The Fall for a long time, but Mark E Smith wrote the soundtrack of my teenage and student years so long ago, and plenty of Mark E Smith's lyrics have stuck in my head.

He really was an original.

Such a legend, I'm gutted. I think I've seen the fall more than any other band. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes he was shockingly bad, but I always came away from the gigs reeling, with ears ringing and a massive smile on mi face!

Really sad, a very complicated intelligent and creative person.

R.I.P my drunken lift buddy.

It doesn't get much better than this, in my opinion

nice choice!

nice choice!

To me it sums up the brilliance of The Fall. Repetetive, hypnotic, in your face, atmospheric, sinister, a bit frightening, unlike anything else you've ever heard.