Who remembers the Rag & Bone Men

Do any of you remember the Rag & Bone men that used to go round the streest with a Horse and Cart shouting "ANY OLD RAGS"

My Nan would say go out and put these old clothes on that mans cart.

The more modern day version is the plastic chariy bags you fill and leave outside now.

Iremember living on Attercliffe and the rag and bone man coming up our street every sunday.All we got really as kids were baloons, not sure what anyone else got?:thumbsup:

They would also collect glass jars, although years before my time bones were also required. There was always a choice of reward, either goldfish or donkeystone. Guess which one I would choose. The ice cream man would also take newspaper for the odd free ice cream.

I remember seeing carts parked up on a road just off London road in the 90’s.

Do any of you remember the Rag & Bone men that used to go round the streest with a Horse and Cart shouting "ANY OLD RAGS"

My Nan would say go out and put these old clothes on that mans cart.

The more modern day version is the plastic chariy bags you fill and leave outside now.

Yes, and they would give you cloths pegs too, wonder what the BONE part meant? Rags make sense , but the BONE part:huh:

Ours (Kiveton in the early 70's) would leave cheap kids things (colouring books, etc) as an incentive. He took them back if we didn't have anything for him when made his next round; much to us kids' disappointment!

I must have had the most accident prone son, he got run over by a rag and bone man, How's that possible?

Yes, and they would give you cloths pegs too, wonder what the BONE part meant? Rags make sense , but the BONE part:huh:

Any bones were smashed to get the marrow from them, which was then made into food of some kind I believe.

The rest was then boiled down to make glue.

I would imagine any person over the age of eighty or so would remember people who knew about this first hand.

We do not know how lucky we are to live in this day and age.

Any bones were smashed to get the marrow from them, which was then made into food of some kind I believe.

The rest was then boiled down to make glue.

I would imagine any person over the age of eighty or so would remember people who knew about this first hand.

We do not know how lucky we are to live in this day and age.

Oh! over the age of eighty then, have to wait till owdlad comes on, thank you.:)

Oh! over the age of eighty then, have to wait till owdlad comes on, thank you.:)

HI Poppins maybe ill beat oldlad to it, Idont think the marrow would be left in the bones in those days, as it would be retained by the housewife for the soup, the rag men used to get so much per hundredwieght from the glue factory for the bones. Arthur.80 plus!

I remember seeing carts parked up on a road just off London road in the 90’s.
HI that was Collins yard, he used to hire out ponies and carts to ragmen, Arthur.

HI Poppins maybe ill beat oldlad to it, Idont think the marrow would be left in the bones in those days, as it would be retained by the housewife for the soup, the rag men used to get so much per hundredwieght from the glue factory for the bones. Arthur.80 plus!

Cheers Arthur, I knew somebody would remember the reason, I bet you dont eat dont eat bone marrow soup in your chateau eh :D