Castlegate/old Market area redevelopment

went to town today,not been in the old market area for 2-3 years,what a mess,10am drunken people,fowl and bad language ,awfull and that's from the crucible area to cooplands,whatever must it be like at night ?,I pity the poor souls having to put up with this,what will the visitors think when they visit the theartre area? about time something was sorted,not going again until I know its safe to do so,why is it like that? its a disgrace.

Council have been moving businesses out of that area. Supposed to becoming the old Sheffield Castle area. I believe archeologists are waiting for the green light to go in. But as with all things Sheffield Council there are changes to plans and delays. So area has become very run down.

If it ever gets done it will be a great assett to the City.

went to town today,not been in the old market area for 2-3 years. . .

same here, I shop at the Moor instead, classy girl that I am.

We’ve got Poundland, Bodycare, Poundbakery, Jack Fultons and Iceland . . . high end shops all the way.

I miss Wilkos, but can’t justify visiting the old market area just for that.

Of course, when Wilkos opens up at Meadowhall, I’ll be happy as a pig in muck :banana:

Can't think where they will go at Meadowhall , sure it's not Meadowhall Retail Park .

Can't think where they will go at Meadowhall , sure it's not Meadowhall Retail Park .

nah, the retail park has already lost what dignity it had left ;)

Wilkos will go directly opposite Argos, where Sports Direct used to be.

It’ll be great, Sheffield’s poshest department stores side by side - Argos, Willis and Poundland :D

went to town today,not been in the old market area for 2-3 years,what a mess,10am drunken people,fowl and bad language ,awfull and that's from the crucible area to cooplands,whatever must it be like at night ?,I pity the poor souls having to put up with this,what will the visitors think when they visit the theartre area? about time something was sorted,not going again until I know its safe to do so,why is it like that? its a disgrace.

What made you feel unsafe bassett one? The last time I walked from the Crucible to Cooplands (I'm assuming Fitzalan Square?), was 9.30pm last Wednesday. I encountered nothing like you describe apart from one man walking along and singing out loud. Yes, I know that town can sometimes be a bit leery but I haven't had cause for concern since an attempted mugging in 1989.

Edited by horribleblob

I’m old enough to remember everything that the Luftwaffe didn’t destroy, albeit Sheffield City Council giving them a good run for their money. The area has never been that good, Water Lane Police Station did help to control some of the worst excesses, but it’s no use looking back, it needs sorting, for one I’d love to see a skills training centre (technical college to my generation), but it’s not going to be for the likes of me, ask the young what they want, they are the ones that need it.

try Frehiwet Habesha for food then walk over the road to the Dorthy Pax for a beer.

Get in quick before the Kelham Island crowd move into the area.

Council have been moving businesses out of that area. Supposed to becoming the old Sheffield Castle area. I believe archeologists are waiting for the green light to go in. But as with all things Sheffield Council there are changes to plans and delays. So area has become very run down.

If it ever gets done it will be a great assett to the City.

It's all a bit of muddle round there, they are about to start fitting out Castle House as a "Tech Hub" with space for 1,100 people. This could be the jump start the coffee shops, restaurants and shops round that end but yet the council are moving them out. Seems just a little odd.

It's all a bit of muddle round there, they are about to start fitting out Castle House as a "Tech Hub" with space for 1,100 p:rolleyes::rolleyes:people. This could be the jump start the coffee shops, restaurants and shops round that end but yet the council are moving them out. Seems just a little odd.

My information is well over 6 months old. It's had time to change 2 or 3 times since then.. :)

You want to try walking around Newcastle from Thursday afternoon until Sunday. The city is taken over by hen parties, Stag parties and students. There’s hundreds of stags and hens getting off the train at certain times of the year.

One thing I will say about the council they must clean the streets of what ever these people leave behind in the early hours of the morning because all you see is water marks the next day. I have been told the police are targeting people on the streets giving out fines if they are caught urinating on the pavement and they are made to clean the area with a disinfectant spray.

I do think the old market area let’s Sheffield down, I was there just before Christmas to see if any work had started where the market use to be and the only thing I saw was a few beggars.

As for the bad language that’s every where now, it’s part of every day living.

My information is well over 6 months old. It's had time to change 2 or 3 times since then.. :)

ha as far as I know the tech hub project has been going on for at least 6 months, they have government funding which they were able to gain with assistance from the council. Maybe they are just trying to move the gambling shops on although I do recall seeing plans to revamp the B&M and Wilkinsons stores but I can't see that going any further until they actually have a plan for the market or court house sites.