Who remembers the Rag & Bone Men

I never ever heard the Rag Man asking for bones, they were used to make fertiliser, I've only ever heard them asking for rags, I think the Rag And Bone title was kept alive by script writers when Steptoe was born.

Remember blokes wheeling box-barrows up and down with wheels made from old mangle handles, didn't half make a racket on the cobbles.

I lived on Deerlands Ave Parson Cross. Always remember the rag man who used to come round with his horse and cart. Think the rag man was called Jack. Could never work out what he used to shout. He would give you a balloon, or a gold fish, a plate, or a punny (donkey) stone for cleaning steps, in exchange for a few rags.

Does anyone recall the little "painting" books they sometimes gave the kids?

You had to apply a small amount of water carefully to the image on the page (keeping in the lines) and the picture would magically develop colour, albeit very weak.

We really thought we were lucky if we got one of those especially as we couldn't afford paints/crayons to colour with!

Regards,

Duffems

Where did they get the gifts from like the painting pad you mentioned ^ or japanese goldfish ?

Edited by Snooker147

That's a good question Snooker probably same place has fair ground stalls

This is one reason why I hate the name Morrags because it always reminds me of our local rag man who always shouted "any more rags ".

I remember as a kid being sent down to Prospect Rd with a bucket and spade to lift the 'waste' left behind in the road by the rag and bone men's horses.

16 hours ago, PGHEELEY said:

I remember as a kid being sent down to Prospect Rd with a bucket and spade to lift the 'waste' left behind in the road by the rag and bone men's horses.

Do you remember Billie Makinson and his horse who used to come up Upper Valley Road Meersbrook in the 60's?

Friday night was the time someone used to go out with a bucket and shovel for the manure. It used to put me off having any fruit or veg from his cart! 

Refards

Duffems 

There was an elderly chap delivering milk around Heeley which he carried on his bike

Anyone remember him ? 

Eyup Runningman, that was Frank Wornes who lived on Albert Road, Heeley. He spent most of his time parked up outside some of the pubs around Heeley and Shirebrook Bowling Club.

I think his dad had the milk round before him. 

The Goodisons you mentioned maybe part of my Goodison line, they were a large family I believe. 

Regards, 

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS
  • Like 1

I recall the rag and bone men, the latter day version of recycling.

I also remember a small chap who was a chimney sweep and have an image in my mind of him pushing his barrow complete with brushes, sacks etc up East Bank Road.

Does anyone else remember him?

echo.