Wartime and after

Many years ago as a little kid I left home to throw stones in the River Loxley? on Livesy Street, Owlerton. It was raining heabvy and it started to get dark and I was lost, the only time i'd been there before was when I'd gone down the Dog Lane with my Grandad in his wheelbarrow.

Nearby, opposite the weir was a barrage balloon station, staffed by young women, one of them spotted me and took me in. I was there for two days and it was great. Meanwhile everyone and G-d was looking for me.

it wasn't until one of the women went into the Owlerton Post Office opposite the Dog Track on Penistone Road did she heard someone talking about a missing little blonde haired lad. She immediately revealed that they had found a little boy who was lost and they were looking after him.

So, in the end everything turned out OK.

I've related this story to let you know there was a Balloon Barrage down the Dog Lane just past Tommy Pearson's Forge.

Happy Days!

Hi Popt when your grandad wheeled you down Dog Lane was it to the allotments over the river Don just off Herries Road if so you would have passed our cottage at the bottom of Liversey Street,I can vaguely remember a barrage balloon at the side of it.Neepsend Power Station was a target for the German bombers this being the reason of them being in a seemingly out of the way area!.

Edited by old tup

I used to have a tent that was apparently made from surplus Barrage Balloon material after the war. Silver it was and sort of rubbery coated......I can feel and smell it now in my memory.

Spent many hours in it in the back-yard eating bananas and custard.

Hi Popt when your grandad wheeled you down Dog Lane was it to the allotments over the river Don just off Herries Road if so you would have passed our cottage at the bottom of Liversey Street,I can vaugely remember a barrage balloon at the side of it.Neepsend Power Station was a target for the German bombers this being the reason of them being in a seemingly out of the way area!.

The Ponderosa also had barrage balloons stationed there during the war.

Hi. I found this post and was interested in that you mentioned you were planning to investigate further two Lancaster crash sites at Marhlerten. One of Lancasters DV221 103 squadron that crashed there on the evening of 27/27th September 1943 was that of my great grandfather John Edward Griffiths Aston DFM who was the flight engineer. The pilot was Sqn ldr Kennard DFC. They were on their second tour together along with their navigator S.A Morrey DFC of the RAAF. Through research we have found that it is probable that Friedrich Karl Mueller flying a Focke wulf 190 shot them down at a height of 5200m 23.09 Hildeshiem. I would be most interested if you ever found anything out.

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 21:44 ----------

Hi. I found this post and was interested in that you mentioned you were planning to investigate further two Lancaster crash sites at Marhlerten. One of Lancasters DV221 103 squadron that crashed there on the evening of 27/27th September 1943 was that of my great grandfather John Edward Griffiths Aston DFM who was the flight engineer. The pilot was Sqn ldr Kennard DFC. They were on their second tour together along with their navigator S.A Morrey DFC of the RAAF. Through research we have found that it is probable that Friedrich Karl Mueller flying a Focke wulf 190 shot them down at a height of 5200m 23.09 Hildeshiem. I would be most interested if you ever found anything out

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 21:53 ----------

focke wulf

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 21:56 ----------

sorry i need to post 5 times in order to be able to send messages on this forum. Cheers