Monkey nuts,Tizer,etc

Loved tiger nuts , haven't seen them for long enough but think they are now more common for Carp fishing bait. Such a waste !

You can get all of those things ASAW, but as for chestnuts, as a family,we used to go to Whitely Woods and pick them off the floor.. for free!

I also remember there being a lady who stood outside Pond Street bus station, with her brazier roasting fresh chestnuts, which she sold in little cone-shaped bags. I even have a photo of her somewhere, 'cos I was a keen photographer and she let me snap her.

A s a youngster I used to go to the old Norfork Park Picture Palace (there's a misnomer if ever there was one) with my Grandma. The "Jury Box" at the back of the cinema was about a foot higher than the rest of the seating and separated from it by a black curtain. Kids would sit in there and throw monkey nuts (out of their shells) at the necks of the people in general seating. An usher with a flashlight would come and throw them out, but they crept back in through a side door. The stink bombs would be the next assault. What a fun time it was. :hihi: