Tap and Tankard Cambridge street.

I hope it doesn't close down as a pub for good. It's a historic pub and we don't want to lose any more of those in the city centre. It's loads better than the Wspoon/Yates-type options nearby.

But I must say, although I've been in a few times it's not a favourite place. I'm not keen on Kelham beers and there isn't always something I want to drink available. Plus it's just a bit, err...dull.

I don't think the scaffolding issue is a good enough excuse. How do pubs like the Bath or Red Deer manage without passing trade? If it was a really good pub people would seek it out and given its location near the City Hall etc it would do well.

The scaffolding hasn't helped and the bottom of the road being closed off hasnt done it any favours. If you look down Cambridge Street you wouldn't know there was an open pub.

Kelham didn't really help themselves either. They didn't do enough to promote it really.

I can't comment about the bath hotel because I've been in once but the red deer get a lot of university trade and does food and promotes itself so passing trade isn't a pressing need unlike the Tap.

It's sad really because a delve into the history of it and it's been run as a public house since the late 1800s. From what I've seenever of the potential council plans it's going to end up being an alleyway linking Cambridge Street to the newly Moor stuff.

They should have left it as a Rock Bar was very popular and me and my mates loved it in there. I went in once after it changed hands not keen on real ale myself so wasn't much for me to drink but there was no atmosphere at all dull as ditchwater! No wonder it died a death.

Must admit although a shame its closing I preferred it as a rock bar too,went in a couple of times since and did not seem to have much of an atmosphere.

Ideal for me would`ve been a real ale rock bar! I quite liked both incarnations tbh and the Yorkshireman only has `orrible stuff on cask.

Ideal for me would`ve been a real ale rock bar! .

Alas when it comes to Sheffield, good music or good beer: pick one. Dove has good music and lots of beer but is living proof that quantity doesn't equal quality. Nelson always had crap beer. While all the beer pubs have no music or crap music

Having said that, apart from the Gryphon in Bristol I'm struggling to think of many pubs that tick both boxes anywhere in the country

Nothing wrong with the jukebox in the rutty

Nothing wrong with the jukebox in the rutty

good point. Though there is a load of tosh on it as well, so you're at the mercy of whoever puts money in!

---------- Post added 02-02-2018 at 10:24 ----------

Actually I also have to correct myself too, the White Lion ticks both boxes if you time it right

I actually quite liked it as a rock bar. Met some really good people during the time it was a Rock bar. It certainly had character :)

But as been mentioned before the ale was crap. But (as a broad sweeping statement) they catered to their customers. A large proportion who drank John Smiths, Newcastle Brown or Guinness which I imagine outnumbered the few who would like to drink something different.

I remember when Enterprise Inns allowed them to install 2 guest ale pumps. one tended to always be out of action while the other didn't offer much in the way of choice.

It was a decent enough City centre boozer but the shambles next door to it, all the scaffolding, plus the building work around there more recently probably put the last nail in the coffin.

With all the scaffolding etc it was difficult to see there was a pub there, let alone if it was open or not.

Aye... But don't forget - #SheffieldIsSuper :)