Sheffield food places to avoid

Looks to me like a whinge fest against the Star.

If the owners had sorted out statutory paperwork and record keeping, then they wouldn’t have the problem. Personally, I’d prefer to deal with a company that has written food management procedures, rather than one who bleats on social media.

A company that hasn’t done its job properly, moaning about a local paper that has. You couldn’t make it up.

Have you read the FB post properly?

They were not the owners/landlords at the time of the inspection. They have only been in there since October (which was three months ago), not their fault if the council has a backlog of inspection is it?

A lot of people on that status supporting them. They have even put a supplementary post on there last night explaining this backlog.

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 09:15 ----------

Yes- it's odd how people are criticizing The Star as "never letting the facts get in the way of a good story" - when all they've done is print the facts!

How often do food premises get inspected for hygiene? I was under the impression that it was two or three times a year.....yet apparently this place has waited 18 months since a 'paperwork error' to get another.

Once a year according to the FB post the Cross Scythes put up, and even that isnt happening due to the backlog.

No theyre not. The only Thornbridge pub in Totley is the Cricket Inn. The Cross Scythes on Baslow Road has nothing to do with them

Sorry, I stand corrected, thanks. It had loads of their beer on the one time I went in and the decor looked their style.

How often do food premises get inspected for hygiene? I was under the impression that it was two or three times a year.....yet apparently this place has waited 18 months since a 'paperwork error' to get another.

If you score 4/5 and score well structurally they come less often. I have worked places that have had a 5 year gap between visits.

They tend to concentrate, as you would expect on the lower scores bringing the lower end up as opposed to repeat visiting places that have been shown as OK.

Scoring 5 is not difficult, if anyone needs to know how I will happily pass on my knowledge for a small fee ;) My job is in food and of the 35 I oversee we have only one that has 4 stars, all the rest were 5 or Scottish equivalent. As mentioned structure and systems score highly so if they are OK you score well.

Sorry, I stand corrected, thanks. It had loads of their beer on the one time I went in and the decor looked their style.

Maybe go back and edit the original post as not everyone will read the full thread.....

Zing Vaa???? Not been there since 1982 and it was very nice back then....I was wanting to go again actually

it must have been great as it has been a 35 years since you have been !

Yes, it really is a paperwork problem at the Cross Scythes as shown here https://wp.me/p5wFIX-ZR The landlords have two pubs, the other in Notts, which has a rating of four

My favourite bit of that article is the bit with all of the quotes from SF on it, followed by an accusation of “lazy journalism” aimed at the Star.

Me too, and because the Star has done it to dishonestly serve up (according to my adblocker) 53 adverts for every page, I'll save everyone the bandwidth of over 600 adverts by giving you the list :)

Thank you.

I would be very surprised if just having paperwork missing would result in a 0 overall rating.

If you look at the report it says major improvement necessary in management of food safety AND cleanness condition of facilities in the building.

Having had some experience of hygiene visits (although not the council one) the people conducting them know what they are doing as they do it all the time and will ensure a really bad visit like this is backed up with solid evidence.

Having said that it is totally unacceptable to have to wait a year or more for a re visit particularly if ownership has changed.

Edited by Fudbeer

My favourite bit of that article is the bit with all of the quotes from SF on it, followed by an accusation of “lazy journalism” aimed at the Star.

And your point is?