Anyone had experience of using a Virtual Assistant?

Hello all,

I'm at the point in my business where I could really do with a Virtual Assistant.

I'm rather keen to be ethical and sustainable in practice and have friends who've made a lot of money through outsourcing to countries such as India.

My question is, whilst I'm keen to use a VA to help me with day to day admin tasks that take up a lot of my time, the prices I'm getting from UK-based VA's are around the £30 p/h mark.

I had also considered an apprentice to work on writing, social media and emailing but over the years, I've had interest but not much success in funding someone who is reliable.

Any advice much appreciated!

Best wishes for 2018!

Kate x

Kate,

Sorry, it's not clear what advice you are seeking.

Are you asking "Should I forget my ethics and go for the cheaper option"?

Kate,

Sorry, it's not clear what advice you are seeking.

Are you asking "Should I forget my ethics and go for the cheaper option"?

Pity there's no "like" button Steve :)

I used a UK based VA for a little while but it just didn't work out. I spent more time explaining and correcting than it was worth. She was a highly rated VA so perhaps it depends on what kind of work you're wanting to hand over.

Steve,

Sorry if my question is not clear. I did assume I’d made the question clear in the topic title, “Anyone had experience of using a VA?”

Here’s a Like for your remark

---------- Post added 06-01-2018 at 19:26 ----------

Thank you Elphi 24 - that’s a helpful response.

I suppose I was hoping general admin tasks such as email responding, posting on social media channels and research.

I'm not overly familiar with apprenticeships but I'm currently studying at The Sheffield College and I know they offer them, in partnership with businesses of course. Did you approach a college/training provider like this? If not maybe they could help. Maybe have a read of this: http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/employers

Would be a cheaper option for you and at least providing a young person with experience and a qualification rather than outsourcing to another country.

Probably a little late in the day. I offer a VA service,

It’s working out rather well! The problem I come across is people thinking they are my boss. Therefore trying to take advantage of my skill set.

To employ a good PA would with on costs be around £30 per hour, so charging £30 per hr is a tad expensive but a realistic fee,

To the gentleman who spent more time explaining what was expected!

Clarity is useful, as a VA I cannot second guess you, we don’t work that closely!

Hope you found somebody to help with your admin!

Probably a little late in the day. I offer a VA service,

It’s working out rather well! The problem I come across is people thinking they are my boss. Therefore trying to take advantage of my skill set.

To employ a good PA would with on costs be around £30 per hour, so charging £30 per hr is a tad expensive but a realistic fee,

To the gentleman who spent more time explaining what was expected!

Clarity is useful, as a VA I cannot second guess you, we don’t work that closely!

Hope you found somebody to help with your admin!

Who pays the piper calls the tune and isn't the point of employing anyone to take advantage of their skill set?

Mr Hardie, you may be mistaken. You employ a builder because they lay bricks, or an accountant because they account, you employ a pa or va to manage you, your time, your meetings, your deadlines! Not to play the pipe for you at a reduced rate!

I know my businesses inside out, but nobody pays me to run them, that would £600 per day!

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 00:07 ----------

You don’t employ me, I employ myself, I offer you a service.

At the end of the day if somebody dies you require the services of a funeral director!

Well we can all dig a damned hole!

Say a prayer!

Mr Hardie, you may be mistaken. You employ a builder because they lay bricks, or an accountant because they account, you employ a pa or va to manage you, your time, your meetings, your deadlines! Not to play the pipe for you at a reduced rate!

I know my businesses inside out, but nobody pays me to run them, that would £600 per day!

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 00:07 ----------

You don’t employ me, I employ myself, I offer you a service.

At the end of the day if somebody dies you require the services of a funeral director!

Well we can all dig a damned hole!

Say a prayer!

I think the clue is in the job title, the bit beginning with 'a'.

I prefer administrative consultant as most of the people I work with are brilliant in their field. I’m brilliant in administering their workload!

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 00:23 ----------

Also the a stands for assisting you with a task or multiple tasks! Not modern slavery!

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 00:30 ----------

An old friend and fabulous business partner once told me “you are part of the party or part of the problem” Mr Hardie I know already!

Edited by partofparty

Steve,

Sorry if my question is not clear. I did assume I’d made the question clear in the topic title, “Anyone had experience of using a VA?”

Here’s a Like for your remark ��

---------- Post added 06-01-2018 at 19:26 ----------

Thank you Elphi 24 - that’s a helpful response.

I suppose I was hoping general admin tasks such as email responding, posting on social media channels and research.

Some virtual offices will do that. I never had cause to use one although we can have support form the staff at Enterprise House, Worksop. We can direct our calls there if needed, post, have copying done etc. We pay a retainer of £20 per month for the post box (which we don't use). Its worth it for back up. You negotiate a fee for office backup depending what you require.

It might work out better to employ someone part or full time rather than a PA. I found them very expensive for what they were offering. It worked out more cost effective productivity wise for us to have someone concentrate on admin full time.