Supertram problems

Unforeseen problems with the sanding equipment I believe.

Nothing to do with the sanding equipment or weather, they are currently in the process of the on board computer (which manages all the systems including traction, brakes, doors, announcements etc) receiving a software update, as this is a safety critical system it has to be fully tested before they can be used in passenger service. The new trams aren't actually needed to be in service until the new timetable launches on 28th January, which requires more trams.

Thanks Andy C - I was wondering where the CityLinks had gone!

I'm confused though to hear that the new timetable will require more trams - as it reduces the daytime service from 6 trams per hour to 5 so I'd have thought that the same no. of trams were required to run to timetable at peak times with fewer trams off-peak?

Disappointed to see that the "evening peak" increase in frequency to every 10 mins on the blue route towards Halfway won't start until 16:38 (for folk like me who get on at Granville Rd) - blue trams before that time are already often rammed. Although the earlier start of the 10 minute frequency in the mornings will be useful. I usually try & use the purple route whenever possible but may have to start to use the blue route more for work due to the changes to the times of the purple trams.

Too many cars especially on the bit next to the bus interchange, all trying to get up to Walkley and Crookes.

It really is gridlocked around fivish.

It was also very bad on Thursday night about 6:30ish. Don't know if there are some roadworks nearby causing people to use Hillsborough corner more?

Not sure the issue is cars wanting to go up the hill. The queue is usually caused by cars trying to turn right off Ripley St onto Walkley Lane having gone up that way to avoid the tram gate. This is compounded by the buses.

There was delays on the trams going to Meadowhall from the city centre last Saturday afternoon, I waited 20 minutes. One couple told me they had been waiting over 35 minutes for one, and when one did turn up it was full up so we waited another 10 minutes. The trams to Halfway were running every few minutes, and there was not many passengers on them because of the frequency.

Too many cars. What are car drivers doing to reduce unnecessary journeys? Most of them will be doing nothing I imagine, other than sitting in traffic jams fuming about traffic....

Meanwhile, if the council prevented cars using Hillsborough corner, they would be shredded on here and elsewhere.

There is no answer that is acceptable to all, so I would get used to the new normal if I were you.

As with most people that share my commute - there is nothing we can do. Simple fact is that the infrastructure around Hillsborough/Stannington/Rivelin/Wadsley is severely lacking, simple reason is that the building density is too high and the space to build roads too low. Only solution I can think off is a proper ringroad round the North West of the city and that will upset a lot of people.

Malin Bridge is a huge traffic-problem, not a lot can be done...

(And before you ask - no, I can't use public transport, it doubles my journey time. Doing 11 hours a day including commute is more palatable then 14 hours a day, I am sure you will understand).

Thanks Andy C - I was wondering where the CityLinks had gone!

I'm confused though to hear that the new timetable will require more trams - as it reduces the daytime service from 6 trams per hour to 5 so I'd have thought that the same no. of trams were required to run to timetable at peak times with fewer trams off-peak?

Disappointed to see that the "evening peak" increase in frequency to every 10 mins on the blue route towards Halfway won't start until 16:38 (for folk like me who get on at Granville Rd) - blue trams before that time are already often rammed. Although the earlier start of the 10 minute frequency in the mornings will be useful. I usually try & use the purple route whenever possible but may have to start to use the blue route more for work due to the changes to the times of the purple trams.

The journey times are longer and the layover between trips is longer, which is necessary to run a punctual service given the worsening traffic congestion. Therefore it takes more trams and more staff to provide the same frequency, which are to be provided at the busiest times.

The reality now is that much of the time the advertised 10 minute interval service at certain times isn't being achieved and there is a suggestion passengers would prefer a reliable 12 minute interval service over an unreliable 10 minute one.

Crowded trams currently are often also a symptom of delays as they are picking up passengers who would have otherwise be spread across two trams. The more punctual service the new timetable is hoping to achieve should address that.

Edited by Andy C

The journey times are longer and the layover between trips is longer, which is necessary to run a punctual service given the worsening traffic congestion. Therefore it takes more trams and more staff to provide the same frequency, which are being provided at the busiest times.

The reality now is that much of the time the advertised 10 minute interval service at certain times isn't being achieved and there is a suggestion passengers would prefer a reliable 12 minute interval service over an unreliable 10 minute one.

but will that be achieved ?

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 21:29 ----------

Andy C , you seem to know a lot about the tram service . would you know and be able to tell us , what percentage of trams are run on time(as in the current timetable) ?

As with most people that share my commute - there is nothing we can do. Simple fact is that the infrastructure around Hillsborough/Stannington/Rivelin/Wadsley is severely lacking, simple reason is that the building density is too high and the space to build roads too low. Only solution I can think off is a proper ringroad round the North West of the city and that will upset a lot of people.

Malin Bridge is a huge traffic-problem, not a lot can be done...

(And before you ask - no, I can't use public transport, it doubles my journey time. Doing 11 hours a day including commute is more palatable then 14 hours a day, I am sure you will understand).

The fact is public transport that performs well is a good option for certain journeys, principally busy corridors to/from the City Centre and it is important to ensure that is an attractive option with priority measures that ensure the bus/tram/train can achieve consistent, reliable and reasonably quick journey times. That way those that can use public transport will choose to do so, minimising car journeys on that route and reducing congestion.

It also has to be recognised that there are many journeys where for various reasons public transport isn't such a practical option so a suitable infrastructure including a ring road, car parking etc also needs to be there.

For a City with a good economy and good standard of living both public and private transport has to be catered for and invested in with a balanced bigger picture view taken by the local authority.

This is why the politics of whether the council is anti or pro car is quite frankly unhelpful.

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 21:38 ----------

but will that be achieved ?

---------- Post added 18-12-2017 at 21:29 ----------

Andy C , you seem to know a lot about the tram service . would you know and be able to tell us , what percentage of trams are run on time(as in the current timetable) ?

Not sure about trams but the latest figure for Sheffield buses is 84% https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/sbp/

Guest busdriver1

Not sure about trams but the latest figure for Sheffield buses is 84% https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/sbp/

So well below the traffic commissioner's lowest level then.

sheffield super tram is the most unreliable mode of transport in the whole of england .

i have to catch it every day for work reson and it very rarely arrives on time its a complete joke.

I've been commuting on the tram for 7 years now, and on the whole it has been extremely reliable. Sure you got the odd hold up and the occasional incident that caused major disruption, but by and large it could be relied upon to turn up when you expected.

These last few months, since the end of the summer holidays, it's been awful. Noticebly less reliable and ridiculously busy. There's rarely a morning these days when we're not packed in like sardines. Traffic's always bad at this time of year, but this year it seems to be having a greater impact for some reason.