Sat Nights At Lathkildale Hotel!!

Back in the good old days around the early 60s the place to go sat night for the Sheffield townlads was the Lathkildale Hotel the far side of Bakewelll.There was no breathaliser in those days to worry about,it wasn,t right but if you could hold your beer you were sound!.The place was always heaving,full of lovely girls,there was always a rock group on,good beer and good times.One group I used to like was Eddie Falcons,after closing time it was everybody back to Lin Hongs for a Ruby Murray.I wonder if any of our older Forum members ever went there and enjoyed it as much as we used to do,happy days,good memories!.:hihi::hihi::D:D

Well remember it! Late sixties. Often joining in with some folk singers. Think official closing was 11pm? The door would be locked after the non regulars went and we often stayed till around 1 in the morning. As you say no breathalysers in those days! Also The Monsal Head, (hot roast beef and pork sandwiches)

Yorkshire Bridge, Robin Hood at Holmesfield, (mostly farmers in there ) The Barrel at Bretton and one at Bradwell the name escapes me. Great times!

:roll: Just remembered! It was The Bowling Green at Bradwell. Land lord had a pyrenean mountain dog. Huge!

Also The Chequers at froggatt.

I remember Sunday nights at the Lathkildale. Brian Cooke and the Vampires!!! I remember the names of some of the sunday night crowd. Jonathan Woodward (his parents had the Talbot in Dronfield Woodhouse) Bob Bulleyment, Andy Taylor. The Robin Hood in Holmesfield was a great place, Bob and Brenda Parkin had it at that time, lovely folks. It is great to go lane, but, sadly, it reminds me that it is well over 40 years ago. Now THAT's scary!!!!!

I remember driving my girlfriend there in my Ford Thames van around 1964/5 and we saw a singer who i later realised was Joe Cocker. After a few songs he poured a full pint of ale over his own head,he had a mop of curly locks.

Great venue,great days.

Interestingly in the early 60s there wasn't much interest in Sheffield for live bands especially in the town centre and the ones that we did have got poor attendances and closed at 10pm...

The country venues however did get more interest and got full venues which is why bands went to play in those area's and they closed at 10.30 instead of 10.00 as in Sheffield.

:roll: Just remembered! It was The Bowling Green at Bradwell. Land lord had a pyrenean mountain dog. Huge!

Also The Chequers at froggatt.

The top shelf drinks in the Bowling Green were sold as 'doubles for the price of singles', unfortunately the brand names of the aforesaid spirits were unknown to man or beast.

Does anyone remember the free Chicken legs/drumsticks during after bird at the Miners Arms at Eyam (on Saturday nights I think)?

I recall after a night at the Monsal Head Hotel, my old mate Jim (rip) turned his A35 into someones drive in Froggatt and ended up in the middle of the lawn, Jim always had a very strange sense of direction.

Edited by crookesey

Back in the good old days around the early 60s the place to go sat night for the Sheffield townlads was the Lathkildale Hotel the far side of Bakewelll.There was no breathaliser in those days to worry about,it wasn,t right but if you could hold your beer you were sound!.The place was always heaving,full of lovely girls,there was always a rock group on,good beer and good times.One group I used to like was Eddie Falcons,after closing time it was everybody back to Lin Hongs for a Ruby Murray.I wonder if any of our older Forum members ever went there and enjoyed it as much as we used to do,happy days,good memories!.:hihi::hihi::D:D

where is this place? as i visit the lathkilldale evrey weekend, the walk we do is very close to the village of monyash, is it the bulls head pub there or is it the other one which is in ashford in the water? love to know where that haunt was, cos im out there tomorow!! :)

GF :)

where is this place? as i visit the lathkilldale evrey weekend, the walk we do is very close to the village of monyash, is it the bulls head pub there or is it the other one which is in ashford in the water? love to know where that haunt was, cos im out there tomorow!! :)

GF :)

Over Haddon mate.

Yes YES YES...Good old Lathkildale....Used to be a guy there with group...Sung all the old Lonnie Donogan songs...Nobodys Child,,Cumberland Gap.and all that.. we used to roar back to Sheffield like Gran Prix drivers...The chances and risks were outrageous....Thank god we lived through those times and enjoyed life to the full.. We did some Clubs in Mansfield as well and the Ba BA club in Barnsley....The Old Hall at Hope..... Those days have gone and we will never forget them.....

I remember Sunday nights at the Lathkildale. Brian Cooke and the Vampires!!! I remember the names of some of the sunday night crowd. Jonathan Woodward (his parents had the Talbot in Dronfield Woodhouse) Bob Bulleyment, Andy Taylor. The Robin Hood in Holmesfield was a great place, Bob and Brenda Parkin had it at that time, lovely folks. It is great to go lane, but, sadly, it reminds me that it is well over 40 years ago. Now THAT's scary!!!!!

Knew Bob and Brenda quite well, went a couple of times pigeon shooting with Bob and their two sons. Also Friday lunchtime used to get Fish and Chips from Totley, take them some and have lunch in the pub and a pint around '69 Seem to remember Bob almost dying from a ruptured appendix.

I remember leaving Lathkildale one Saturday night, to find my old moggy van had a front tyre flat,no spare, 6 of us just piled in and drove back to Sheff, hardly any wheel left by the time we got back,,,didn't bother us one bit, great fun