Arthur Lee Steel Company

I am doing a geneology project which I believe will link in with the family who started up a company which was either Arthur Lee's originally or a firm which turned into Arthur Lee's.

Does anyone know anything about the origins of Arthur Lee's or how to find out?

Sorry I cannot answer you question, but I do have a little information about Arthur Lees.

I have my fathers indenture papers which were signed on the 17th of May 1915. The signatures are Arthur S. Lee, Secretary and Percy W. Lee, Director. and of course my fathers signature.

Didn't the Lee family live at the Red House on Tapton House Rd? or Tapton cresent Rd? just on from the Grindstone. Or was that just offices

I would say the Local Studies library is you best bet.

Can't remember which book I read it in but I've vague recollection that the Lees took over a company of which Arthur was a director and he may possibly have been related by marriage to the owner of the original company.

The company I worked for did work at A. Lees at Wincobank, I suppose through that connection we worked at Philips house at Fulwood, (I think I have the name right, it seems to me he was a son.) 1950 would have been the approx.time, anyway the house was big and he had a huge model railway (a larger scale variety) that ran from the basement to the outside perimeter of the garden, they also had uniformed maids running around the property. Not too long after that we worked for a son (again forgot the name) at 'Stow-in-the-Wold' in the Cotswolds at a farm, they said he was a gentleman farmer. He was living in a trailer with his family on the property and waiting for a house to be built. The nature of our work in both cases was steel fabrication and mechanical.

I am doing a geneology project which I believe will link in with the family who started up a company which was either Arthur Lee's originally or a firm which turned into Arthur Lee's.

Does anyone know anything about the origins of Arthur Lee's or how to find out?

I know of one definite and probably another who may assist you.

Both were managers at Arthur Lee's. PM me your E-Mail address and I'll ask them to make contact with you if they wish.

MINICOOP-

You sent me a pm asking for my fathers name which I supplied. I cannot find a reply from you saying thanks or informing me how you are going to use this information. Please let me know.

Arthur S Lee Managing Director of Arthur Lee and Sons.

10 Taptonville Rd. ( which became the Library just up on the right)

There's also Percy W managing Director of Arthur Lee and sons. and a J.P.

as well as being Norwegian vice-consul (looks like jobs for the boys). his address was 142 Manchester Rd.

The company, as its called now (outokumpu),is going to close in march 2009.

The company, as its called now (outokumpu),is going to close in march 2009.

I thought they were in the process of transfering the strip mill from Stocksbridge down to Arthur Lees.

Or has that all been scrapped