Intake Sheffield Any history

Hi all,

Does anyone know any of the history of Inatke, I been trying to find out things for ages and spent money doing so. All I found so far is their used to be a farm possibly called Fox lane farm or somthing like that and there was maybe a quarry about. Would love to know if anyone had any history on the sheffield suburb?

Thanks

The county boundary used to be at the bottom of the hill. What you want might have been in Derbyshire at one point.

thanks for your help much appreciated, I have not heard this before so neather looked into derbyshire records just sheffield ones.

My maternal grandparents lived right by the chapel on Hollinsend Rd at Intake for many many years and the Derbyshire border was indeed at the bottom of the hill. Just about where the bowling alley used to be - and that's some years ago! Intake is an ancient word (not sure if as far back as the Romans) that means beside a moor. Presumably that would be Birley Moor.

The Rex Cinema was situated on the corner of Hollinsend Road and Mansfield Road.

The Rex was known to us who lived on the Manor Estate, as a Posh Picture House only used by posh people. In other words ' Those who did not have holes in their socks or shoes! '.

The Intake tram terminus being situated in the middle of the Mansfield Road just a little further down from the cinema.

The Brook that crosses under Mansfield Road was the border line between Yorkshire (Sheffield) and Derbyshire.

On the left of Mansfield Road below the Rex Cinema was a Pit Slag Heap.

I believe that the Pit Head Gear was constructed out of wood. (Needs checking)

On the right side of Mansfield Road below the Rex a rough lane ran up to a house where the caretaker? of a sewerage farm lived.

He was called Mr Granger, My Grand-Mothers Brother on my fathers side. (I'll verify the detail).

I'll come back later.

thanks for the info! that could be the quarry i was looking for, Do you know what the seweerage farm was called and what the road isnow where it is. M y house is apparently built on an old farm, and when i dug my pond i dug up a large stable door, hinges and horse shoes so ot sure if it was sewerage?

I went to live in Intake around 1949.

I lived on the Foxwood Estate just below Newlands Grove.

By the side of the Methodist Chapel on the R hand side going down Mansfield Rd was I think a road called Fox Rd unadopted. Along there a small road lay to the right leading off Newlands which lead into a field where I think there could have been a quarry but I never went up there It lay between Newlands Grove and Alnwick Rd

. Coming down Mansfield Rd from Manor Top were two Pit Slag heaps one each side of the road one were the Fire Station is now and the other were the Territorials is. Used to be a pond behind the Fire Station.

Base Green was just fields of corn.

I think I can remember catching the Tram at Woodhouse Rd that being as far as it went and later it went down to the boundry whch is were the bowling place is now.

Off Mansfield Rd was Cabbage Lane ( which led in to Woodhouse Rd ) opp Sharrard Rd which was named after a Sheffield Doctor.

Along Sharrard Rd were allotments on the L hand side and beyond that were the school fields.

As said the Rex was at the bottom of Mansfield Rd on the left.

hope this is of help

hazel

thanks hazel, i think that is wear i live now the field near newlands, do you know of the farm at all? there is still farm buildings (suposedly) round the road and farm workers cottages?

Thanks

D

I think I heard of a farm up there but never saw it. Think it must have been there long before the houses were built. One of the old Intake names was Storey if you know of them they must know more.

As the road leading there was unadopted I remember the people living on it had to pay for the road being laid.

hazel

I went to live in Intake around 1949.

I lived on the Foxwood Estate just below Newlands Grove.

By the side of the Methodist Chapel on the R hand side going down Mansfield Rd was I think a road called Fox Rd unadopted. Along there a small road lay to the right leading off Newlands which lead into a field where I think there could have been a quarry but I never went up there It lay between Newlands Grove and Alnwick Rd

. Coming down Mansfield Rd from Manor Top were two Pit Slag heaps one each side of the road one were the Fire Station is now and the other were the Territorials is. Used to be a pond behind the Fire Station.

Base Green was just fields of corn.

I think I can remember catching the Tram at Woodhouse Rd that being as far as it went and later it went down to the boundry whch is were the bowling place is now.

Off Mansfield Rd was Cabbage Lane ( which led in to Woodhouse Rd ) opp Sharrard Rd which was named after a Sheffield Doctor.

Along Sharrard Rd were allotments on the L hand side and beyond that were the school fields.

As said the Rex was at the bottom of Mansfield Rd on the left.

hope this is of help

hazel

I feel sure that prior to 1946-7 that the tram went all the way down Mansfield Road to its terminus just below the Hollinsend Road junction below the Rex with a fairly large oblong passenger shelter made out of wood at the terminus. ( That wants checking out )

The Tram did turn round at points opposite the road junction to Handsworth/Woodhouse near to the (Elm Tree?) Inn or hotel.

I'll come back with more details regarding Charles Leonard Granger who lived at the Sewerage Farm. I may be able to put you in direct contact with a close relation of his, who actually lived at the Farm, after I've contacted him. With his permission please let those on the Forum know of anything which may be publically interesting.

Back to the Pit Ponds on both sides of Mansfield Road at the Manor Top. I use to play on a raft on both these ponds during WWII.

(I don't think that I'd learnt to swim at that time!!).

Can anyone remember swimming in them and coming out covered in coal dust? What happened to the ponds eventually or are they still there?

A path cut through the Cornfields where the Basegreen Estate is now built. It started near Grassmeer Road? and ran to Fox lane coming out where the road junction to Beighton branched off, close the the ' Old Arrow '. We useto walk along that way on our way to ' Ford and Ridgeway '.

On the left hand side of Mansfield Road before the Rex Cinema a number of Prefabs were built. I've forgotten how many.