The bulldog public house at attercliffe

Does any one know the name of the public house befor it was called the bulldog, on attercliff road.

Hello Joan,

I cant help you much with the name but i do know Len and Pat Athey ran the Bulldog in the 70s.

By the way hows your mick going on?

Does any one know the name of the public house befor it was called the bulldog, on attercliff road.

the bridge:thumbsup:

The Bridge got bombed and was eventually rebuilt as the Bulldog.

It then became Bar-celona before closing down again a few years ago. It recently reopened under another name for a short time, not surewhat it is / was though.

The pub was renamed the bulldog after re furbishment as the then licensee bred pedigree bulldogs. His name was Arthur Sayles and his wife was called Winnie. This would be about 1958.

Before that I think the pub was called the Bridge

Thank you all, i thought it was the Bridge. MUPPET our michael is very well, thank you.

I remember the yellow tiles going onto the outer wall of the pub and the refurbishment when the landlord changed the name to The Bulldog.

In the late 50's we used have our dinner in the 'Washford Arms' pub which was opposite 'The Bridge'.

Happy Days!

I remember the yellow tiles going onto the outer wall of the pub and the refurbishment when the landlord changed the name to The Bulldog.

In the 50's we used to go in the 'Washford Arms' pub which was opposite 'The Bridge'.

Happy Days!

In the 50's we used to go in the 'Washford Arms' pub which was opposite 'The Bridge'.

Happy Days!

hi popt,my dad used to go in the washford and the gray horse behind it,his mum lived accross the road opposite the bulldog,his name was mick tyrrell do you recall him?

depoix

I cannot remember your dad, maybe he never went in at dinnertimes.

A group of us used the pub to have our dinners back in the 50's and so we met very few regulars.

I do remember the bulldogs standing outside the pub opposite though.

Happy Days?

depoix

I cannot remember your dad, maybe he never went in at dinnertimes.

A group of us used the pub to have our dinners back in the 50's and so we met very few regulars.

I do remember the bulldogs standing outside the pub opposite though.

Happy Days?

thanx for the reply pop t, did you work down washford road?

Depoix

No. I didn't work there but did do stints at Park Works near Norfolk Bridge and also worked on Stevenson Road.

Next to the Washford Arms was a stockyard belonging to one of the nearby rolling mills and they converted one of the buildings into a work's canteen.

They cooked Meat and potato pies in large 'washing up' enamel basins and we were the first in the queue for that pie with lashings of Hendo on it.

The days we didn't eat there we went to an excellent chipole across from their and the landlady of the Washford allowed us to eat them in there washed down with some good ale.

Sorry I digressed there a bit but my rememberer kicked in.

Happy Days!