NHS pension, better self employed?

a friend of mine works as a secretary for the NHS and has been told the if they are in the current NHS pension you aren't building up rights to the state pension

Haven't been able to confirm that - but one option I suggested was doing some self employed work. I have been for years and my pension show full service every year, despite working at places with "contracted out" pensions

thoughts?

State pension entitlement is based on NI contributions.

It shouldn't make any different that they're paying in to an occupational pension.

A little knowledge is dangerous, no knowledge is disastrous, I think that the NHS scheme is contracted our of the ‘Second State Pension’, or whatever it’s currently called, the State Pension is payable to all who have made the required NI contributions.

It still is. I get a NHS pension and will get a state one when I'm old enough.

Yes, but you won’t qualify for the Second State Pension, as what would have been used to provide it has been diverted into your NHS pension during your NHS service.

Totally agree with SnailBoy that state pension entitlement is based on NI contributions, end of!

Totally agree with SnailBoy that state pension entitlement is based on NI contributions, end of!

End of what? The NHS scheme used to be a "contracted out" one which meant that you paid less NI but wouldn't get the additional state pension....don't know if this is still the case...

Edited by truman

Either ask the question of their union rep or pension administrator.

I would hate to think that your friend took the advice of some strangers on the internet then, when they retired, found out it was all wrong.

Either ask the question of their union rep or pension administrator.

I would hate to think that your friend took the advice of some strangers on the internet then, when they retired, found out it was all wrong.

Best answer really.. :)

thanks max - in the process of doing just that

to counter all the folks saying "its NI, end of . . ." that is *certainly* wrong for some people, possibly an awful lot of people who dont even realise they wont get a "full" state pension

I now know three folks with 35+ years of unbroken NI contributions (1 NHS, 1 public sector and 1 Private sector employee) and in every case their state pension estimate is substantially reduced - according to the DWP this is "because of COPAs" - which I believe is their jargon for contracted out pension agreements, which are all too common