LittleDale shop still charging £1.00 for cards

Just come back from the shop where the owner wanted to charge me £1,00 for using my Debt card (it was the usual practise) when I told her it was NOW against the law to charge her reply was " I know nothing about it, you can pay by cash"

I did pay by cash, but just for you my darling -

Credit cards: is this the end of the great rip-off?

Customers can no longer be charged extra for paying by credit or debit card, At midnight on Friday, a rip-off that has cost Britons hundreds of millions of pounds a year was finally outlawed. All extra charges for using a credit or debit card to pay for goods and services have now been banned, which means no more nasty surprises at the checkout, says the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/13/credit-card-surcharge-debit-ban

Do the cahrge for carrier bags as well???

Coupke of small shops i use tried to charge me 5p and wern't over happy when i quoted the law!!

The Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Stephen Barclay, said:

Rip-off charges have no place in a modern Britain and that’s why card charging in Britain is about to come to an end.

These small charges can really add up and this change will mean shoppers across the country have that bit of extra cash to spend on the things that matter to them.

The government has previously capped the costs that businesses face for processing card payments, and will engage with retailers to assess if there is any more that can be done to help.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rip-off-card-charges-to-be-outlawed

The problem is, it costs small(er) shops to offer that facility, they have to pay monthly 'rental' for the machine, and the capability to process it etc...

that original 50p charge, was supposed to cover this cost, and was a cost by the card machine issuer, not the shop...

This is also the reason why some shops have a minimum purchase amount also...

Until it's free for shops to offer, the 50p charge cannot, and will not go away.....

Small shops NOW also have to charge 5p for carrier bags, another law that's just come in.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 15:34 ----------

To be honest I didn't mind the 50p charge, it was worth it to use the card, but when this went up to £1.00 at this shop I did feel it was a little OTT.

Presumably traders can still have a 'minimum card payment' level though?

Do the cahrge for carrier bags as well???

Coupke of small shops i use tried to charge me 5p and wern't over happy when i quoted the law!!

The law being that they now HAVE to charge you 5p for carrier bags, but can't charge you for using a debit card. They can of course have a minimum charge for debit/credit.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 15:53 ----------

The problem is, it costs small(er) shops to offer that facility, they have to pay monthly 'rental' for the machine, and the capability to process it etc...

that original 50p charge, was supposed to cover this cost, and was a cost by the card machine issuer, not the shop...

This is also the reason why some shops have a minimum purchase amount also...

Until it's free for shops to offer, the 50p charge cannot, and will not go away.....

It will go away unless they want to be breaking the law and sanctioned appropriately.

It's a cost to the business, just like business rates, electricity, rent and banking (which generally isn't free).

They can just include it in the price of the items they sell, but charging a surcharge is now illegal.

Here's one for the money smart on here, I pay a company £3.00 a week, I pay it on line - If I use my Debit card they charged me 50p, If I use my Credit card i'm charged 8p? I would have thought the reverse to be true. (can't wait to see what they are going to do next payment)

Say hello to mrs goggins ? I always wondered if she was getting off with pat

The law being that they now HAVE to charge you 5p for carrier bags, but can't charge you for using a debit card. They can of course have a minimum charge for debit/credit.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 15:53 ----------

It will go away unless they want to be breaking the law and sanctioned appropriately.

It's a cost to the business, just like business rates, electricity, rent and banking (which generally isn't free).

They can just include it in the price of the items they sell, but charging a surcharge is now illegal.

When did the carrier bag charge become law for all shops including small ones? I don't charge for them but I understand it's under consideration.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 17:48 ----------

Presumably traders can still have a 'minimum card payment' level though?

It's still legal to have a minimum spend limit on cards...

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 17:53 ----------

Just come back from the shop where the owner wanted to charge me £1,00 for using my Debt card (it was the usual practise) when I told her it was NOW against the law to charge her reply was " I know nothing about it, you can pay by cash"

I did pay by cash, but just for you my darling -

Credit cards: is this the end of the great rip-off?

Customers can no longer be charged extra for paying by credit or debit card, At midnight on Friday, a rip-off that has cost Britons hundreds of millions of pounds a year was finally outlawed. All extra charges for using a credit or debit card to pay for goods and services have now been banned, which means no more nasty surprises at the checkout, says the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/13/credit-card-surcharge-debit-ban

I run a shop and it costs me 29p processing fees including commission if you spend £10 so unless you spent £30 the £1 charge is a rip off.

As far as I know the carrier bag charge for all shops is being discussed, it's not yet mandatory. As for the credit card charge businesses will still make the charge under the guise of "Service or admin" fees.

When did the carrier bag charge become law for all shops including small ones? I don't charge for them but I understand it's under consideration.

Its not the law yet...

Currently, the 5p plastic bag charge only applies to retailers with 250 employees or more. Since its introduction in October 2015, this has led to nine billion fewer plastic bags being used, according to the government.

However, despite the government announcing plans to extend this scheme to all retailers, a date for the change has yet to be set.

From...

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-01-11/plastic-bag-charge-extended-to-all-shops