Government to let councils raise council tax 5.99%

Just read the article below where it says the Tories have given local authorities the power to hit families with extra increases of up to 5.99%. I wonder how much SCC will put our council tax up. Just a guess but I bet it will be 5.99%.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-approve-eye-watering-6-11723291

how much of last years’ council tax increase went towards the elderly and social care, like we thought it would?

Anyway, I expect our Labour council will indeed stiff us the full 5.99% citing Tory cuts as the reason.

The Tory government will indeed then blame our Labour council for raising council tax by such a high amount :|

And on and on and on it will go :roll:

Just read the article below where it says the Tories have given local authorities the power to hit families with extra increases of up to 5.99%. I wonder how much SCC will put our council tax up. Just a guess but I bet it will be 5.99%.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-approve-eye-watering-6-11723291

That would be a very good guess . Think I might have a shilling on it at bookies . Wonder what odds I would get :)

how much of last years’ council tax increase went towards the elderly and social care, like we thought it would?

Anyway, I expect our Labour council will indeed stiff us the full 5.99% citing Tory cuts as the reason.

The Tory government will indeed then blame our Labour council for raising council tax by such a high amount :|

And on and on and on it will go :roll:

I've always wondered, how much council stash away and not spent, after a lot lost money when Iceland went tits up.

More cowardice, from a quisling Government.

They don’t have the balls to raise taxes themselves, so they starve Labour areas of funds and then invite them to raise local taxes to fill the gap.

Time to vote them out.

They don’t have the balls to raise taxes themselves, so they starve Labour areas of funds and then invite them to raise local taxes to fill the gap.

Time to vote them out.

is there a difference in council funding if they are Labour or Conservative?

Time to vote them out.

Totally agree.

But, Sheffield's Labour City Council is a joke, so we get stiffed both ways.

Doubt it matters which local council is in power around the country, the council with the most wealthy constituents will try and keep it down but for the majority of councils it will go up the full amount permitted. When are the next local elections, I tried to find the information but can't see anything.

Taxes are too low

If we want the services then we need to pay more

Taxes are too low

If we want the services then we need to pay more

Disagree with the first sentence, agree with the second.

Taxes are too low

Alternatively: lower taxes leads to more business and leaves taxpayers more money in their own pockets.

Here's an example: Overseas/International Aid. It's effectively money (tax) extracted compulsorily by HMG and sometimes- not always- frittered away.