Does jail work?

Just read about an American female teacher being jailed for 30 years for having sex with her 16 year old pupil.

If they have a good good parole system that lets them out early, but 30 years is a very long time, too long.

Isn't a 20 year sentence considered to be a life sentence in this country? Granted, offenders may need 5+ years to repent and think about some crimes, but does jail work?

I heard someone in the news, saying that we lock many more people up, compared to years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/high-school-teacher-underage-sex-puils-brianne-altice-utah-teenage-boys-16-self-esteem-issues-a7549771.html?cmpid=facebook-post

when you see who builds and runs these prisons you can understand why they have to be filled. years ago only serious hardened criminals were locked away today it seems anybody is fair game. makes you wonder why eh :suspect:

Jail sure taught me some lessons in the early 90's. I never went back.

It depends on how you set about assessing what you mean by "jail works" doesn't it ?

The only thing it does is remove an individual from the general population for a time.

Does it stop offending on release - no it certainly and rather spectacularly does not do that.

Does it act as a deterrent ? Possibly, but in my view it is not something criminals think about very much save as an occupational hazard for some.

It is frighteningly expensive, the ability of those charged with looking after the prison population to do any meaningful rehabilitation is limited in the extreme

There are votes only in locking the bad people up.

No in most cases it is not working.The alternatives do not work either,but what could be done instead ? Longer sentences to keep the bad off the streets ? an expensive way but most people would prefer this.

Growing older is the most effective proven thing that reduces offending by offenders.

Time locked up gives the public 100% protection against offenders and every day spent inside gets the offender closer to the first statement.

Just read about an American female teacher being jailed for 30 years for having sex with her 16 year old pupil.

If they have a good good parole system that lets them out early, but 30 years is a very long time, too long.

Isn't a 20 year sentence considered to be a life sentence in this country? Granted, offenders may need 5+ years to repent and think about some crimes, but does jail work?

I heard someone in the news, saying that we lock many more people up, compared to years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/high-school-teacher-underage-sex-puils-brianne-altice-utah-teenage-boys-16-self-esteem-issues-a7549771.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Well in that instance 30 years is ridiculously over the top as far as I can see. As to the rest I suppose jail does work simply because it removes criminals from the streets and neighborhoods.

How many times have we read about victims being let down by the criminal justice system because some lowlife who, in most cases has no positive input to society, has committed offences over and over and are still not dealt with appropriately?

I.e. Drug rehabilitation courses ( I would love to see the reoffending rates for that), community service, et al.

Maybe a punitive jail sentence is what is required for a lot of thes reoffenders because none custodial punishments are not working.

I think jails do work. I work hard and earn money and do not steal. If I steal I will be sent to jail. I do not steal because I dont want to go to jail.

How many times have we read about victims being let down by the criminal justice system because some lowlife who, in most cases has no positive input to society, has committed offences over and over and are still not dealt with appropriately?

I.e. Drug rehabilitation courses ( I would love to see the reoffending rates for that), community service, et al.

Maybe a punitive jail sentence is what is required for a lot of thes reoffenders because none custodial punishments are not working.

They did try that with IPP sentences - utter and complete shambles -

Who do you think is going to pay for these 'punitive (you mean long) sentences' ? The system has been cut to the bone as it is - if you suggest more money is spent on more prisons and prison staff then you will find no support for it.

It is a very much more complex topic than can be debated on here.

The politicians couldn't give two hoots, no votes in it you see and the legions of Daily fail readers can't get past the stocks or the noose as suggested sentences.

Jail sure taught me some lessons in the early 90's. I never went back.

Good for you for admitting this!

Does prison work? I personally think the system is antiquated.

I wonder if we locked people up with cells made up of girly looking fluffy pink pillars, children's music/nursery rhymes out very loud when it gets heated... Bedtime stories on the speakers at night... Make the cells as child like as possible, with sponge walls... Make it as annoyingly child like as possible.

And make everyone go on a 100% vegan diet, to reduce testosterone.

I think I would reduce violence, aggression and improve behaviour.

Between June 1993 and June 2012 the prison population in England and Wales increased by 41,800 prisoners to over 86,000. That is a big increase.

It obviously means that we are paying much more to keep these people behind bars.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/218185/story-prison-population.pdf

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 17:09 ----------

Prison has a poor record for reducing reoffending – 47% of adults are reconvicted within one year of release.

For those serving sentences of less than 12 months this increases to 58%. Nearly three quarters (73%) of under 18 year olds are reconvicted within a year of release.