Your thoughts on bus etiquette?

Move or Stay?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Move or Stay?

• Move
    • Stay

Same type of man as Rigby's Father ? lol

:hihi: That's where I got that line from, I wondered if any one would notice.

I usually stay where I am and ask if they are OK and tell them how I can pick up on signals they are giving out about their mental health state

I will refer relevant neurological problems (such as being daft enough to eat from Subway) and tell them all about my recent relationships.

They soon move!

like :hihi:

---------- Post added 16-02-2018 at 08:28 ----------

Anther issue about public transport is 'man spreading'. Why do some men have their legs as wide open as possible, so much so that the other unfortunate passenger is using one buttock to sit on the seat? Is it that they've got very large packages between their legs that they can't possibly sit with their legs together?

In these circumstances I hold my ground, and if it means the passenger's leg is rubbing against mine, then so be it.

Start talking to them, ask if they're inviting you to have a fondle, then very quickly tell them to close em because you can smell cheese.

The other one is knee-ers, people who sit with their knees up on the back of the seat in front. I enjoy rocking the seat to jar it into the knees.

Haha. Perhaps because we're of a certain age ?

---------- Post added 16-02-2018 at 16:04 ----------

He was a Man of very "High Principles"..

If a nearby seat becomes empty I'll always move. No offence intended, it just means that we both get more elbow-room. However I wouldn't move to the opposite end of the bus, it would have to be relatively close.

For me it depends how close to my stop I'm at :) If it's just a couple I see no point in expending unnecessary energy but if I have quite a way to go then I'll move. It's not that I mind sitting next to anyone and I find it bizarre these days that people would rather stand than sit in a free seat next to someone, but more space is more space especially when it's next to a window.

And this thread reminds of some Jasper Carrott :D

I find it bizarre these days that people would rather stand than sit in a free seat next to someone

This is something that rather confuses me too.

I find it bizarre these days that people would rather stand than sit in a free seat next to someone

Yes. But not as creepy as when you're on an almost empty bus and someone sits next to you.

Yes. But not as creepy as when you're on an almost empty bus and someone sits next to you.

a pretty young lady did that to me once, back when I was young and pretty myself.

I had a pleasant chat with her on the journey.

It was nice :)

---------- Post added 18-02-2018 at 15:34 ----------

I used to stand a lot even when seats were free, to leave seats free for the OAPs, wheelchair users and prampushers that would inevitably board the bus as it snaked its way through Shiregreen, Firth Park, Fir Vale and Burngreave on the way to town . . . I was younger, prettier, fitter, and less of a sociopath in me youth :)

Edited by The Joker
Spelling mistake

Some people seem to very anxious if you're sitting next to them and they need to get off the bus soon. Maybe they don't realise a quick, polite 'excuse me' is all that's needed. Instead there's lots of uncomfortable shuffling and fidgeting. That's enough to make me move to a free seat.

Some people seem to very anxious if you're sitting next to them and they need to get off the bus soon. Maybe they don't realise a quick, polite 'excuse me' is all that's needed. Instead there's lots of uncomfortable shuffling and fidgeting. That's enough to make me move to a free seat.

That's because they read this 'ere forum and think anybody sitting next to them is a psychopath

I used to stand a lot even when seats were free, to leave seats free for the OAPs, wheelchair users and prampushers that would inevitably board the bus as it snaked its way through Shiregreen, Firth Park, Fir Vale and Burngreave on the way to town . . . I was younger, prettier, fitter, and less of a sociopath in me youth :)

Yea, but having spent some time living out that way myself, right on top of the 75/76 route there are - and I don't mean to stereotype, I'm just stating impiricles - there are hundreds of Romanians with huge, ever growing, families that you can't get on a bus out that way without at least 1-3 pushchair(s) or old person(people) getting on.

Yea, but having spent some time living out that way myself, right on top of the 75/76 route there are - and I don't mean to stereotype, I'm just stating impiricles - there are hundreds of Romanians with huge, ever growing, families that you can't get on a bus out that way without at least 1-3 pushchair(s) or old person(people) getting on.

I think you mean Roma? In Sheffield they're mainly from Slovakia, they aren't Romanian.

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 06:34 ----------

For me it depends how close to my stop I'm at :) If it's just a couple I see no point in expending unnecessary energy but if I have quite a way to go then I'll move. It's not that I mind sitting next to anyone and I find it bizarre these days that people would rather stand than sit in a free seat next to someone, but more space is more space especially when it's next to a window.

And this thread reminds of some Jasper Carrott :D

I agree, especially when they stand at the front and make it difficult to pass. I usually stay put unless a) I'm next to someone smelly or b) an older or frailer person needs the seat, and everyone else is ignoring them.

I'm surprised that youngsters don't automatically go upstairs on busy double deckers. My recollection of bus travel as a young person was always upstairs with my friends. We were taught quite firmly that older people needed to sit, but that seems not to be acknowledged quite so readily nowadays. There are clear signs on accessible seats on trams and buses that they are for people with mobility issues, either through disability or age, and yet they are regularly occupied by people fitting neither criteria. And yes, I do know about hidden disabilities, but when there's a bunch of school kids bouncing around, I think they could find alternative seating! Just as an example.

Edited by Ms Macbeth