Government to let councils raise council tax 5.99%

The government are just funding the lack of government investment in local authorities via council tax. Then you blame the council for the increase instead of them.

Have a think sometimes about why the council needs money.

I know why they need money. If you read my original post I said it was the Government that had allowed the rise, Government cuts are the cause of councils going for as much money as they can. The reason the Government allowed the high increase was so people will blame the council rather than the Government when we all know it is the cuts causing the increase.

Edited by iansheff

I know why they need money. If you read my original post I said it was the Government that had allowed the rise, Government cuts are the cause of councils going for as much money as they can. The reason the Government allowed the high increase was so people will blame the council rather than the Government when we all know it is the cuts causing the increase.

Yes, I agree; what council and Government are responsible for should be more clearly defined.

The Government fund local authority schools, so who should we blame if they are poor?

The roads, pot holes; is that Governmnet or council?

Care for old people, councils close down their homes, but should they be Government or NHS funded? If people have no funds, I assume they are Government funded.

---------- Post added 15-02-2018 at 13:04 ----------

If we do that then affluent areas get all the services and poor ones get diddly squat. Congratulations you've just created ghettos up and down the country..

Andrew Gwynne, the shadow Housing secretary, said the party would consider ideas such as a local income tax as it looks at ways to overhaul council tax and boost town hall coffers.

Any new charge would be on top of income tax which is levied by the Treasury in bands of 20 per cent, 40 per cent and 45 per cent for the richest.

Mr Gwynne said the party wanted to reform council tax because the annual charge – which pays for local services like bin collections and street cleaning – was “not fit for purpose”.

It angers me that I am forced by law to pay for a complete strangers perks and retirement package.

If I'm understanding you right, you're annoyed because you perceive that those in the private sector are paying the "perks" and retirement packages of those in the public sector?

You are aware that public sector workers are taxed on their wages like those in the private sector don't you?

If I'm understanding you right, you're annoyed because you perceive that those in the private sector are paying the "perks" and retirement packages of those in the public sector?

The private sector can bid for any work done by the local authority, the local authority employ their own staff and do it cheaper, they don't need to make a profit for their shareholders.

Some people have a narrow view, that one side or the other must be cheaper, there is not a lot of difference.

---------- Post added 16-02-2018 at 11:39 ----------

Just watched first part of Labour broadcast blaming cuts on no police, no youth clubs and nothing for the youth to do.

It was on facebook, so no link.

Do the youth of today have anything to do? Is that because they are all online and kids dont have hobbies anymore?

Over my way the council seems to have so much money it can afford to lend millions to other councils (many Labour) for the super low low interest rate of 0.4%. Almost £52 million since 2013.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/131705/filename/wirral%20loans.jpg