Country pub recommendation please

The Talking Diary and I always share the driving.... I drive there, 'cos she doesn't know the way, and she drives back. After all, it is the blokes who buy the drinks and fill the petrol tanks. Btw, don't let my missus see this.

Why do you think I'm taking the missus? She can drive :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Crown Inn, Hillfoot Rd, Totley.

And a few minutes drive further along the road will bring you to the Cricket Inn on Penny Lane.

Holly Bush at Makeney.

http://hollybushinnmakeney.co.uk/

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 18:47 ----------

2 good pubs but a pain to park especially the Miners.

Not keen on either tbh.

The Miners is a bit scruffy and the Travellers is a real local's pub and not very welcoming.

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 18:48 ----------

The Crown Inn, Hillfoot Rd, Totley.

And a few minutes drive further along the road will bring you to the Cricket Inn on Penny Lane.

Does the crown have a real fire? I didn't notice but haven't been for a while. The Cricket Inn is nice I agree.

Holly Bush at Makeney.

http://hollybushinnmakeney.co.uk/

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 18:47 ----------

Not keen on either tbh.

The Miners is a bit scruffy and the Travellers is a real local's pub and not very welcoming.

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 18:48 ----------

Does the crown have a real fire? I didn't notice but haven't been for a while. The Cricket Inn is nice I agree.

Not been in since the Autumn so they weren't on but they appear to have a coal fire & a wood burner.

The Beer House on Eccy road is nice! Not exactly country but we often go on a walk around Eccelsall woods and end up there with our dog.

I like the beer house too! Not really fitting the country pub with real fire though, but nice micro pub with good beer generally.

you can't do much better than this tbh...

http://www.cricketinn.co.uk/

Absolutely lovely pub. Real fires. Nice food. Fantastic in summer with the big field outside overlooking the moors, but perfect on a cold winters night around the real fire with very good food and drink. And close to Sheffield.

I must say, their website does them very little justice though! The real appeal of this pub is its rustic charm, the real fires, the smell of woodsmoke, the stripped floorboards, the wood panelling, the "country lodge" homely feel. The website makes it look like a chain star hotel! Who's in charge of your marketing Cricket Inn? I think you need a makeover! People like the OP would be flocking here if the website more accurately portrayed the real look and feel of the place.

---------- Post added 18-02-2018 at 21:53 ----------

There is a wee fire there! haha

Really? It's a nice pub Kate, but it absolutely doesn't fit the description that the OP mentioned.

Ecclesall Road is not "the countryside", although I'm sure some folks think it might be!

Edited by DerbyTup