LA Noire - A huge step forward in games

The first reviews are coming in.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-l-a-noire/713929

Whilst not 10/10 across the board I can't wait to pick this up on Friday. The facial animation and realism of the characters is a joy to behold, and something that will revolutionise storytelling and emotional involvement in interactive entertainment.

Anyone else excited?

It's an awesome game, though it does have it's limits I feel this is a massive benchmark and we'll see not only this method of facial capture, but also this style of gameplay mimicked and improved upon.

The missions vary in difficulty and while you may find one nails, the next one will be a breaze, the unpredictability of the game keeps you playing through tiredness.

I found the radio call missions early on a bit too close together; it took me some hours to get to a witness after answering all the emergancy calls (which are optional) so by the time I got to the address I'd forgotten pretty much everything about the case.

The game feels adult, intelligent, and well thought out and executed; and unlike most games which boast the same, this one has a hefty runtime too, with 3 discs and loads to do, Bondai have made full use of the massive world they have created, rather than leaving much of it redundant as with Mafia 2.

The potential for DLC is also there, as the spade work has already been done in city creation.

A rare gem of a game which it is my absolute pleasure to have become addicted to.

Edited by FatDave

Looks and sounds really good. I will definitely be getting it. I just hope that it isn't one big let down.

Reminds me of the hype for Rise Of The Robots back in the day. The game turned out to be terrible.

It's an awesome game, though it does have it's limits I feel this is a massive benchmark and we'll see not only this method of facial capture, but also this style of gameplay mimicked and improved upon.

The missions vary in difficulty and while you may find one nails, the next one will be a breaze, the unpredictability of the game keeps you playing through tiredness.

I found the radio call missions early on a bit too close together; it took me some hours to get to a witness after answering all the emergancy calls (which are optional) so by the time I got to the address I'd forgotten pretty much everything about the case.

The game feels adult, intelligent, and well thought out and executed; and unlike most games which boast the same, this one has a hefty runtime too, with 3 discs and loads to do, Bondai have made full use of the massive world they have created, rather than leaving much of it redundant as with Mafia 2.

The potential for DLC is also there, as the spade work has already been done in city creation.

A rare gem of a game which it is my absolute pleasure to have become addicted to.

Thanks for the insight, but care to share how you have got a copy so early?

Friend of mine asked me to review it for a website 'cos I've been going potty about the game for months.

Friend of mine asked me to review it for a website 'cos I've been going potty about the game for months.

What's the website?

Thanks for the insight, but care to share how you have got a copy so early?

Why do you think he wanted dual layer verbatims so urgently ;)

I'll probably get it, I just hope it's not a re-skinned GTA.

The facial features look really really good but the rest of the body movements are pretty poor and that is why i dislike games like this. Way back in the early 90's we had Prince of Persia that had better flowing movement than i can see in the review linked above.

Hopefully getting it but waiting to hear some more reviews yet.

I'm worried it may be littered with lengthy cutscenes.

I've got a few trade-ins lined up for it on Friday :D Can't wait.

Looking at the in game footage it looks like it is mainly just the characters faces that are a massive improvement. You would think other areas could be improved to. Interaction with other objects sill looks very unnatural. The cars don't look much of an improvement over GTA either. Still looks like a great game though.