Just seen contents of a private email plastered on a web design forum

I have just found an email sent to a web designer disclosing information about my project and plastering on a web design forum . I am disgusted that anyone deciding to do this whether i decide to take up services or not .I have found it most defamatory and unprofessional. The reason why i decided not to deal with him was the fact he wanted to know what cash i had to spend before he talked any further. Most web companies I have dealt with have been more than willing to look at my project and if their quote doesn't meet with my budget, then thats fine. He simply would not discuss any further and having told him there were other designers around, he has seen fit to go as far as implying to other freelancers not to take work from me.

Fortunately, I am now working with 3 guys from sheffield who are taking on the work . The domain is registered, the logo is done and the site is already planned out.

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen to them at all??

Hmmmm web designers, some good, some terrible. Mostly terrble, even if you find a good one, chances are they will try and rip you off in one way or another either during the design and build process or ongoing hosting / maintenance. I've had so many problems with web designers until I went to elance.com - elance is awesome, you post your project and then let the designers fight it out via a bidding process to win your business. Elance.com uses a feedback system like eBay so you can make sure you are dealing with good people. Since using elance I've always got my design work done for great prices with great results. In general, if you use a UK based web design company, you are probably going to pay way more than if you posted the same project on elance for either the same or better results. I usually end up going with American designers from elance, had some great work done for usually at least half of what the UK guys quote. As for your email issue, nothing surprises me when it comes to web design in the uk. Whenever posts like this emerge all the designers come out spouting their crap, it's painful, glad you have found someone for your project. If you haven't already tried elance.com check them out, will save you a lot of time, money and hassle in the future.

INCOMING: Posts from web desigers in Sheffield or the UK slating elance when they don't have a profile on elance themselves. :)

Edited by Gambler

I have just found an email sent to a web designer disclosing information about my project and plastering on a web design forum . I am disgusted that anyone deciding to do this whether i decide to take up services or not .I have found it most defamatory and unprofessional. The reason why i decided not to deal with him was the fact he wanted to know what cash i had to spend before he talked any further. Most web companies I have dealt with have been more than willing to look at my project and if their quote doesn't meet with my budget, then thats fine. He simply would not discuss any further and having told him there were other designers around, he has seen fit to go as far as implying to other freelancers not to take work from me.

Fortunately, I am now working with 3 guys from sheffield who are taking on the work . The domain is registered, the logo is done and the site is already planned out.

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen to them at all??

You will find that any decent company selling ANYTHING will want to know what your budget is.After all whats the point in designing a site for £1000 when you only have £500 to spend.Your not going to get what you want nor are they.

You will find that any decent company selling ANYTHING will want to know what your budget is.After all whats the point in designing a site for £1000 when you only have £500 to spend.Your not going to get what you want nor are they.

Totally disagree, telling a web designer what your budget is, is a very quick way to have your full budget spent lol. There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling a designer in Sheffield or the UK what your requirements are and asking them to quote without even a mention of your budget. If they won't quote you without a budget, drop them fast.

Edited by Gambler

So how did Elance .com rip you off Gambler?

So how did Elance .com rip you off Gambler?

elance didn't rip me off, elance is great :)

Totally disagree, telling a web designer what your budget is, is a very quick way to have your full budget spent lol. There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling a designer what your requirements are and asking them to quote without even a mention of a budget. If they won't quote you without a budget, drop them fast.

So you expect sales people to guess what you want?I think in these hard times they will have better things to do than waste their time designing something people cannot afford or even below what the customer wants.

To me,giving a budget to a salesman is exactly that,what you WANT to spend.

If you went to buy a car and had a jag in mind would you allow them to waste their time showing you mini sized cars all day?

If your budget is £1000 and the salesman gives you what you want for £999 whats wrong with that? Thats within your budget isnt it?The choice then is for YOU to decide if its value for money.

If you wouldnt give me your budget,id show you the door as i would every other time waster.

even if you find a good one, chances are they will try and rip you off in one way or another either during the design and build process or ongoing hosting / maintenance.)

So the above is not really a fair statement to make then?

I'm not a web designer/hoster but if I was then I'd be rather naffed off by that sweeping statement, especially as you then go on to contradict yourself by saying you have a good one and they havent trried ripping you off in one way or another.

Totally disagree, telling a web designer what your budget is, is a very quick way to have your full budget spent lol. There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling a designer what your requirements are and asking them to quote without even a mention of a budget. If they won't quote you without a budget, drop them fast.

Oh and your ok telling a car salesman i want elec windows power steering this that and the other when hes spent 2 hours sorting it out,adding it up only to find you cant afford it.Doesnt work does it?

Alot easier to show you goods you CAN afford isnt it?

To give your budget is, as ghozer says, a guarantee that the quote will be within a few quid of your budget.

?? Where ??

So you expect sales people to guess what you want?I think in these hard times they will have better things to do than waste their time designing something people cannot afford or even below what the customer wants.

To me,giving a budget to a salesman is exactly that,what you WANT to spend.

If you went to buy a car and had a jag in mind would you allow them to waste their time showing you mini sized cars all day?

If your budget is £1000 and the salesman gives you what you want for £999 whats wrong with that? Thats within your budget isnt it?The choice then is for YOU to decide if its value for money.

If you wouldnt give me your budget,id show you the door as i would every other time waster.

right, you are wrong.

On elance it is safe to give an indication of budget because all those bidding to win your project will usually come in well under. To give an indication of your budget in general to one web design company is foolish as they will just quote you full budget if not more. I know, I've seen it many times myself, I've spent thousands on web design since 2000, I've experienced all their games. My last project I was quoted £20,000 from one design firm in the uk, no indication of budget given to them. Got it done on elance all in for 3.6k. Uk web design prices are usually laughable. I have saved 10's of thousands using elance.

Heh sorry - i meant gambler :P

I know, I'm bored sorry. LOL