Morgans challenge - mega thread ALL here.

just heard that the elbow incident by chris morgan as left the barnsley player with a fractured skull, hope he makes a quick and full recovery.:thumbsup:

It's on the official Blades site,they are wishing Hume a full recovery,if Morgs has caught him I cannot see him doing it deliberate,although he is a tough player, but I do not see him as a player who would go out and do harm to another fellow professional player.

It's just been described on the radio news as "life-threatening" injuries. I'm just heading off to the blades site to get the "gen" on it.

sounds scary! I know Morgs is regarded as a bit fiery, but, good lord!

Hope Hume is ok, certainly.

the blades' site says

"Sheffield United are saddened and concerned to hear that Barnsley striker Iain Hume is being monitored in a high dependency unit following last Saturday's fixture, and we wish him a speedy and full recovery."

I've now been on the barnsley site, and it's a lot more hardline about this incident.

BARNSLEY striker Iain Hume faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines after suffering a fractured skull and internal bleeding following a challenge by Sheffield United's Chris Morgan on Saturday.

Iain was forced to undergo emergency surgery over the weekend and is in the high dependency unit in hospital.

Reds manager Simon Davey said: "Our thoughts are with Iain at this time and we all wish him a very speedy recovery from what is a horrendous injury. There is no timescale regarding when he will be fit enough to return but he is in a stable condition.

"The decision not to show a red card was an absolute disgrace. Iain received no protection whatsoever from the referee on Saturday despite him telling Andy D'Urso about repeated use of the elbow and it sickens me just thinking about it. He could have died. "Both Ryan (Kidd) and I and expressed our concerns at the treatment Iain had received through elbow challenges at half time but the referee made light of the situation and thought we were making too much of an issue that he had dealt with by showing a only yellow card.

"Iain is now in hospital with a fractured skull because of a challenge that seemingly warranted only a yellow card from Andy D'Urso.

"It beggars belief that you send a manager to the stand when a referees assistant makes a decision from 70 yards down the pitch; yet a challenge like this seen from 15 yards away, which ends with Iain suffering a fractured skull, goes virtually unpunished.

"I am fed up as a manager that referees always seem to take the side of a perceived 'bigger' club in our own stadium to the extent that we now have a player laying in a hospital bed with a fractured skull.

"In the last two home matches we have had four stonewall penalties turned down by referees, including a WWE style throw on Darren Moore last Saturday. It is beyond a joke and decisions like these cost people their jobs".

I was there, I saw Hume holding his head, and going off the pitch, but just thought it was a general/standard reaction to a head-injury, and thought, Ooh, he must have had a bit of a clout to the head!"

but like any bang to the head, something nasty like this development may only come to light later. (anyone remember that boxer, a few years ago, who came away from a fight absolutely fine, then, a few hours later, after the doc had given him the all-clear, in the post-fight checkup, he collapsed and later died, with a blood clot that had developed in the meantime?)

I was there at Bramall lane, that day in March 2001 when George Santos was elbowed viciously and deliberately by Andy Johnson, and suffered an injury that could have ended his life/ career/ cost him his sight.

Santos had his cheekbone so badly shattered that the maxillofacial surgeon who did the rebuild of his face said that it was like a jigsaw, the eye socket and cheekbone was in so many pieces.

Simon Davey is out of order with his comments regards this.

He is using Iain Hume as a pawn to have a rant at referees's and it is absolutely disgusting.

Hopefully Hume can get a speedy recovery and be back playing soon.

For me this wasn't a malicious challenge, and I could certainly not see any intent. The incident was basically Hume and Morgs going for a challenge together, Morgs was behind, got himself in front and did catch him with his elbow and won the ball.

For me, a yellow card shouldn't have been shown, never mind a red.

I am not a fan of Morgan as a player, I think he is a bit thuggish, however I will stick up for him on this occasion.

As for the other comments by Davey, if there was a stonewall penalty on Moore, then I didn't see it. I'm struggling to think of what incident he meant, never mind did I see any wrestling moves in action.

didn't Petr Cech the goalie have to wear a special cap for a while after a fractured skull? did he try and get this sort of mileage about his injury?

i've not seen the challenge but if davey thinks it was bad then he's going to be angry. there were a couple of barnsley fans saying he should of gone for it though

i've not seen the challenge but if davey thinks it was bad then he's going to be angry. there were a couple of barnsley fans saying he should of gone for it though

watching it again on tv i think morgan was lucky to stay on. then again i think ugo was unlucky to go as the barnsley bloke led with the head and ugo just stood his ground. swings and roundabouts i suppose. remember johnsons assault on naughton.

hope the bloke makes a full recovery and davey stops using it as an excuse for his clear sour grapes.

johnsons assault? so what do you class morgans as? johnsons looked accidental to me anyway,think you need to stop using it for your sour grapes bb:thumbsup: think you are right about ugo though bb, i saw that 1 and it looked a bit harsh

Simon Davey is out of order with his comments regards this.

He is using Iain Hume as a pawn to have a rant at referees's and it is absolutely disgusting.

Hopefully Hume can get a speedy recovery and be back playing soon.

For me this wasn't a malicious challenge, and I could certainly not see any intent. The incident was basically Hume and Morgs going for a challenge together, Morgs was behind, got himself in front and did catch him with his elbow and won the ball.

For me, a yellow card shouldn't have been shown, never mind a red.

I am not a fan of Morgan as a player, I think he is a bit thuggish, however I will stick up for him on this occasion.

As for the other comments by Davey, if there was a stonewall penalty on Moore, then I didn't see it. I'm struggling to think of what incident he meant, never mind did I see any wrestling moves in action.

excuse me . ive just seen this challange four times in slow motion on look north and it was a deliberate elbow on hume,its as clear as anything. morgan went into that challange to "do " hume. morgans elbow has left a player fighting for his life. my thoughts go out to ian hume. im glad barnsley are going to sue the player. im not saying this as an owl -if a wednesday player did this id say exactly the same. if the blades dont like my opinion they can sue me. people who do this have no place in football.

excuse me . ive just seen this challange four times in slow motion on look north and it was a deliberate elbow on hume,its as clear as anything. morgan went into that challange to "do " hume. morgans elbow has left a player fighting for his life. my thoughts go out to ian hume. im glad barnsley are going to sue the player. im not saying this as an owl -if a wednesday player did this id say exactly the same. if the blades dont like my opinion they can sue me. people who do this have no place in football.

yeah, as you're so unbiased... after your report on the game the other day, any credibility your opinion may have had on that match went straight out of the window...