Do shotguns have to be loud?

As I have absolutely no knowledge of firearms I'm hoping someone on here may be able to answer this for me.....can shotguns be made quiet, or do they have to be really loud? Also, what are the rules (if there are any) for when/where they can be used?

Thanks in advance.

Shotguns are necessarily quite loud as a result of the explosive charge used to fire the shot, but smaller, quieter charges are available. As an example see: https://www.eleyhawkltd.com/products/clay-cartridges/hush-power

These charges may not be suitable for hunting/vermin control as there is a risk that the target may be injured rather than killed.

Shotguns can be used anywhere with the landowners permission and providing the shot does not leave the boundary of the land where the permission is granted and providing that no-one is endangered by the shooting. They can be carried in public by a licence holder.

They are subject to the same laws about noise nuisance as other things. So they should not be fired after 11pm or before 7am unless they are so far away from human habitation that nuisance is not caused.

You will find that most shotgun users are very reasonable people and will try to avoid causing any nuisance if possible. If you are being bothered by noise, you should be able to find the shooter via the landowner. There may be a number of things they can do to help.

Edited by tlangdon12

Thank you very much for that information, that's really helpful.

We are having problems due to a lot of noise from shotguns during evenings and weekends. I've spoken to the relevant section of the council and they've said they've had lots of similar complaints, but she didn't elaborate as to what would be done about it, so I'm hoping it will be followed up.

We are having problems due to a lot of noise from shotguns during evenings and weekends.

Do you live on Moss Side?

Do you live on Moss Side?

I'll let you figure that out seen as I'm a member of the Sheffield Forum.

It is possible for shotguns to be silenced, Baikal do a barrel length silencer on some of their shotguns.

I think the problem may be in the owner justifying to the police why they want a silenced shotgun. The police may allow it for a farmer shooting vermin but maybe not for trap shooting.

We've been informed that it's a mixture of clay pigeon shooting, and 'pigeon scaring' by farmers that we can hear. It's so frustrating as it's all times of evening and throughout the week and weekends and it really is so loud!

I'll let you figure that out seen as I'm a member of the Sheffield Forum.

We have people posting from Canada, France etc. Even from Leeds!

I think you can get pigeon scarers that sound like shotguns but aren't. If that's the case you can't really silence those.

EDIT - don't know how you would silence this bad boy https://www.nfuonline.com/about-us/our-offices/east-midlands/east-midlands-news/advice-for-farmers-on-bird-scarer-use/

Edited by tinfoilhat

We have people posting from Canada, France etc. Even from Leeds!

Oi! Even my shotgun isnt that loud...

Although I do lurk in Leeds on occassion.

We've been informed that it's a mixture of clay pigeon shooting, and 'pigeon scaring' by farmers that we can hear. It's so frustrating as it's all times of evening and throughout the week and weekends and it really is so loud!

Give me a post code and I will try and find out if it's clay shooting or just bird scaring. My bet as it's every evening and weekends it's bird scaring.

Angel1.

It can't be grouse shooting as the Glorious 12th was yesterday .

I've been hearing them all day too but it's not bothering me, it's no worse than hearing neighbours workmen, hedge cutting and grass cutting. Don't forget there's worse to come the week before and the week after 5th of November and they are a lot louder and nearer to houses, the dogs hear them and get frightened, they don't seem to be upset about this shooting.

Then there's the continuous loud bangs on New Years Eve . . .enjoy, we could be dead and we wouldn't hear it then.

Yesterday was a Sunday so no game shooting. The grouse season starts today however with the beast from the east and then the heatwave there are few grouse to be had and many if not most shoots are cancelled this year