Spitfires & Lancasters over Sheffield

Just watched the Spitfire fly over my house in S8 as part of RAF 100. Its doing various flypasts over the UK until the main one over Buckingham Palace in July. It was doing a fly past of the historic RAF Norton.

Lovely to see and hear.

I saw it too - what a treat.

Sounded amazing, as they do.

Brilliant. Flew over Meadowhead, banked left over Beauchief, flew very low over Park Bank Wood, climbing back over meadowhead, looped over Woodseats and Graves Park and back over Meadowhead with a shallow roll then off to the North.

Awesome. Watched it all from my house and garden

It was part of the programme of todays Summer Fayre at St Thomas of Canterbury School in Meadowhead. Amazing sight!!!

A few years ago a good friend (now dead) and I were sitting in his garden in Meersbrook on a beautiful sunny day much like this one. Two mates, sitting in the sun, drinking a few beers and putting the world to rights, when a Spitfire came over quite low. It's a memory I treasure.

I heard it before I saw it, It was glorious! Wish i'd known, I would have had the camera ready!! :)

Just watched the Spitfire fly over my house in S8 as part of RAF 100. Its doing various flypasts over the UK until the main one over Buckingham Palace in July. It was doing a fly past of the historic RAF Norton.

Lovely to see and hear.

I went to school with many of the RAF personnel’s kids, I could point out now the commanding officer’s bungalow, the other officers and NCO’s houses. The guard house is still partially standing, whilst the large balloon hangers were demolished years ago. The open days were fabulous, many Spitfire and Hurricane fly pasts and some memorable games for the visiting kids

The open days were fabulous, many Spitfire and Hurricane fly pasts and some memorable games for the visiting kids

Calahonda, you might be able to put my mind at rest...

I think I might have gone to some event at the driver training area at Lightwood Lane as a young child back in perhaps the late 70's. I don't recall seeing any planes, but I do remember seeing an F1 type of race car whizzing up and down an open area, and then a police Range Rover trying to chase after it as part of the entertainment.

My parents don't have any memory of this, and i've never found anyone else who can confirm it either. But would this possibly have been part of an open day at RAF Norton? Did they still have events like this as late as the 70's?

Calahonda, you might be able to put my mind at rest...

I think I might have gone to some event at the driver training area at Lightwood Lane as a young child back in perhaps the late 70's. I don't recall seeing any planes, but I do remember seeing an F1 type of race car whizzing up and down an open area, and then a police Range Rover trying to chase after it as part of the entertainment.

My parents don't have any memory of this, and i've never found anyone else who can confirm it either. But would this possibly have been part of an open day at RAF Norton? Did they still have events like this as late as the 70's?

It closed as a RAF base in he mid 1960’s, it stood dormant for a few years until it became a driver trainer centre, however I never had any knowledge of other activities. I used to attend the open days in the 1950’s, the reason that nothing major development wise happened is because in those days the site straddled both Sheffield and Derbyshire.

Sorry that I can’t help further.

Thanks, I guess I will never know what I saw or didn't see that day. The area was my playground as a kid as I lived on one of the roads surrounding the site.

There is a publication detailing the history of the site, I'm sure a member on here created it and sent me a copy. Fascinating reading.

We had a twin prop military aircraft fly over us at work middle of last week, don't know what it was, but it was really low...

I'm almost certain it was a WW2 light bomber as it had invasion stripes

from my office window at Manvers I'm facing north west & he was heading pretty much the same direction, so wouldn't necessarily have flown over the city