What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

I'm not from Sheffield so maybe I've missed some hidden gems in Sheffield city centre. Now as the so-called 4th biggest city in UK ( but I'm sure Glasgow and Leeds are much bigger?) I expected much more. In my home city even the very worst rundown markets have more variety and cheaper prices. All I wanted to find was maybe some exotic fruits like Guanabana's and Papayas. I understand Sheffield is more of a Pie & Chips town and generally hates foreigners, but with the glowing reports on diversity all over council websites, I found it abysmal.

The Peace and Winter Gardens was nice but after an hour you've seen it all. No museums, the cathedral was closed and except for those few Georgian houses at back of Cathedral & Park Hill flats, dull predictable architecture and hardly any shops, so what is so amazing about Sheffield's central zone?

Edited by 26b-6

Is this a troll thread? :suspect:

Now as the so-called 4th biggest city in UK ( but I'm sure Glasgow and Leeds are much bigger?)

It's not the fourth biggest city, it's the fifth (London > Birmingham > Leeds > Glasgow > Sheffield). However, that's based on just city boundaries. When you include "greater" areas with satellite towns, it's nowhere near the fifth-largest. That's why places like Greater Manchester, Newcastle-Gateshead, West Midlands, Liverpool-Birkenhead feel much bigger than Sheffield.

I understand Sheffield is more of a Pie & Chips town and generally hates foreigners, but with the glowing reports on diversity all over council websites, I found it abysmal.

Sheffield is a very diverse city. The only area I can think of that isn't very ethnically diverse is the south-west, and that's due to economic disparity.

The Peace and Winter Gardens was nice but after an hour you've seen it all. No museums, the cathedral was closed and except for those few Georgian houses at back of Cathedral & Park Hill flats, dull predictable architecture

There's some great architecture. Perhaps you missed Pinstone St and Surrey St on your visit. There are also quite a few museums in, or close to, the city centre.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/museum+near+Sheffield/@53.3791758,-1.4771183,15.46z

and hardly any shops, so what is so amazing about Sheffield's central zone?

If you'd bothered to do any research you'd know that there's a £500M renovation going on to create a new shopping district.

https://www.heartofcity2.com/masterplan/

In my home city even the very worst rundown markets have more variety and cheaper prices.

I'd like to know where your home city is so that I can share my experiences of visiting it.

Edited by Revel

I'm not from Sheffield so maybe I've missed some hidden gems in Sheffield city centre. Now as the so-called 4th biggest city in UK ( but I'm sure Glasgow and Leeds are much bigger?) I expected much more. In my home city even the very worst rundown markets have more variety and cheaper prices. All I wanted to find was maybe some exotic fruits like Guanabana's and Papayas. I understand Sheffield is more of a Pie & Chips town and generally hates foreigners, but with the glowing reports on diversity all over council websites, I found it abysmal.

The Peace and Winter Gardens was nice but after an hour you've seen it all. No museums, the cathedral was closed and except for those few Georgian houses at back of Cathedral & Park Hill flats, dull predictable architecture and hardly any shops, so what is so amazing about Sheffield's central zone?

Go and get your papayas elsewhere, Sheffielders like a few peas with their papayas.:P By the way you do come across as a sarcastic bar steward or just a wind up merchant with a little grudge. You have been on here for over 2 years with 54 posts but you are suddenly amazed at how Sheffield looks, gimme a break,

Edited by Ontarian1981

The Cathedral is open all and every day with a very good cafe and gift shop.

Remember - many of the good things aren't necessarily in the Centre...

Plenty of exotic fruit (and stuff that I’ve no idea what it is) at Ozmen or Ozmen Extra (probably plenty of other similar shops, but this is the one I use) and KH Supermarket in the new Complex just off St Mary’s Rd, next to Aldi.

Millennium Gallery, Emergency Services Museum (not sure of exact name) and Kelham Island all close to city centre. Western Park not far away.

---------- Post added 31-05-2018 at 08:03 ----------

Not pie and chips particularly.

(Proper) fish cakes and chips is more local

Plenty of pork sandwich shops

On a nice day, it has many spots where you can just sit and watch the world go by and, heaven forbid, actually strike up conversation with your fellow humans.

Even when the weather is a bit off, the Winter Garden, The Cathedral and The Crucible all are pleasant to sit for a while.

I trust you found your pawpaws.

I was born in Sheffield and in the seventies the town centre was a fun place to visit now I preferer Barnsley, at the moment undergoing a major refit.

The city centre has been ignored and abused over the past 25/30 years, but has had very selected improvement, that appears to revolve around the town hall. However there was very little that could be done about the aesthetics, following the blitz, the replacement 1950’s/1960’s buildings are now showing their age and unsuitability.

So don’t hold your breath, Sheffield City Centre needs to evolve from a retail/office centre into something that folk need, whatever that may be. :confused:

How can you say Sheffield hates foreigners when it is the City of Sanctuary?

If your home city is so good then why not trot off back to it :huh:

Lived here all my life, think its a dump, always have and will be out at the first opportunity.

Agree, been here all my life (29 years) and as much as people don't like to admit it, their is nothing to do.

I have young children also and I really struggle to spend my money in Sheffield.

It's really missing some attractions, and has been for a very long time

But you get a biased view from the 'I'm alright jack' mentality of Sheffield