Soundbar, are they any good?

Not having a cd player for years, and having most of my music on my phone, i now fancy getting something to play my music on, and i came across soundbars, i had never even heard of them before, apparently they can connect to your phone by bluetooth and they can also be wired to your TV, are they any good? or should i just buy a traditional music center? i quite like the idea of not having wires and speakers all over the house :help:

They are if you buy a decent one with a subwoofer. The cheap soundbars on their own sound no different to the telly to me.

Some of the Bluetooth speakers are really good.

They are if you buy a decent one with a subwoofer. The cheap soundbars on their own sound no different to the telly to me.

Some of the Bluetooth speakers are really good.

Thanks Treeman893, any idea what i should be looking at for decent quality? i dont know anything about bluetooth speakers, i shall look into that, thanks

I have a sound bar and a sound stage.

The sound bar is a Yamaha YAS101. Great sound but no bluetooth

The sound stage is Sony. I can't remember the model number but this would suit you. It plays from bluetooth and has a phone app to change settings etc.

The sound stages can be more practical as they are designed to put your telly on top. Obviously they are much bigger than the bar.

I agree with the above to a point. Buy a good one but you don't always need a separate sub.

I'll have a dig round and see if I can find the Sony model number but both are getting on a bit so newer models will be out now.

If its best sound you are after the way to go would be Bluetooth speaker. The design of soundbars, ie fit discreetly with the tv, don't lend themselves to best speaker design, hence the requirement for a subwoofer.

Bluetooth speakers can get better speaker design and hence sound quality. My son has a Monitor Audio model and the sound is amazing.

I have Goodmans soundbar with Bluetooth and they are very good,as some Smart Tvs do not have very loud speakers and are placed at the back,so having you soundbar in front of your tv ,you get better sound in your room,and playing music on your phone through the soundbar is brilliant,Only cost £40 from TJ Jughes in town

They're primarily for your TV, so if want to listen to music then it's probably not the correct device.

That said, even a £100 soundbar will have considerably better sound than most TVs, so if you watch TV at all, then they're better than the built in speakers, but not as good as a surround sound amp.

Soundbars still cannot do proper bass sounds as the speakers are too small, and also to get proper stereo separation you need speakers to be around 5-10 ft apart. If its just for the occasional listening of music while doing other things then they should be fine, with the added advantage of Bluetooth. If you want it for the TV/DVD/Blu-ray as well then as Cyclone suggested a proper surround AV amp and decent surround speakers with an active sub is the way to go.

A lot of difference in the cost though. Soundbar £100-150, AV setup at least double that.

Not having a cd player for years, and having most of my music on my phone, i now fancy getting something to play my music on, and i came across soundbars, i had never even heard of them before, apparently they can connect to your phone by bluetooth and they can also be wired to your TV, are they any good? or should i just buy a traditional music center? i quite like the idea of not having wires and speakers all over the house :help:

i feel sorry for the hi-fi shops if people are getting used to listening to the crap that comes out of the average phone.

Hi

I have a 65" Samsung sound bar wifi Bluetooth 9 speakers with wireless sub woofer

it's brill

works with tv and all my stuff iPads iPhones ect

I use all the apps that play music

also its linked up to my echo

the sound is good.

Her in doors plays hell with me she says I must be def lol

Edited by binman2664

Check out Sonos. You can start with one speaker, add a second (for playing music), then add a soundbar later.

Not particularly cheap, and they use a proprietary system, but they sound great and as long as you can accept some limitations, generally tend to work great too.

Thanks for all the information guys...i currently have a digibox and amazon firestick with my TV, i am not looking for fantastic sound, just something a little better for my tv and something to play some music off my phone.

it sounds like bluetooth speakers are the way to go, could i wire them to the TV and Digbox, and then just bluetooth my phone to them?