Windows 7 download

I have a HP G61 notebook its around 6years old its started playing up so I was thinking of doing a factory reset and then reinstalling Windows 7 Home using a USB 8GB stick. I have the product key and was thinking of downloading Windows 7 from Microsoft. Not being computer literate can anyone tell me is there anything that I need to do or look out for? Thanks for any help. Alan.

Thanks Mikes10, Will let you know how I get on.Alan.

It's 2017 and we're still reinstalling operating systems and fiddling around with keys?

Piggies and your point is?

I think he wants you to install Linux

Put him on your ignore list, he’s clearly a wierdo

I think he wants you to install Linux

Nothing wrong with that! :P

Gee thanks!

And I wasn't suggesting he installs linux, but modern PCs allow users to restore to factory defaults without needing to worry about external media and keys.

Alan - Puggie has a point, which is to install Windows 10. It's more secure and easy to restore to factory settings. Also, end date for Windows 7 is drawing ever closer - IMHO it's not worth the hassle of reformatting your computer with a old (but much loved) operating system. Upgrade to 10 was (and might still be) free and once done, you should have trouble free computing for a good while.

Before recommending people upgrade their computer's OS you should ensure the computer can be upgraded, after all you don't want the owner to wipe the hard drive

and then install W10 only to discover particular hardware drivers are not available for the make & model of computer.

For HP computers see the following link:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05195282

Hello all,

This is my second attempt to reply to you, spent sometime replying but when I tried to post it it said I wasn’t signed in which I was and ended up losing all that I had written. Anyway hope I can explain why I wanted to do a factory reset, I was having many problems with it not recognising stuff and being really slow.

I went onto Microsoft site to try and get a legal windows 7 disc but after I put in my product key it told me I had to contact the maker of laptop which was HP but all I was doing was going round in circles. I had no idea that I could do a factory reset just using the laptop until Mikes10 gave me the link. I did download Windows 10 but didn’t like it and thought I was stuck with it till reading a couple of days later that I could go back to 7.Im not good with the technical stuff of computers that’s why I’m very great full with the help from members on Sheffield forum. I did do a factory reset and upto now things are ok.

So thanks again to you all for the help you give. Alan.