Page Hall Landlords must register for new license

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crackdown-on-worst-housing-in-sheffield-1-6358773

I can't find the original Page Hall thread, but this is an interesting development.

Crackdown on worst housing in Sheffield

Landlords in a troubled area with the worst privately rented housing in Sheffield will have to meet tougher standards under plans to improve living conditions.

From April, Page Hall is set to have the city’s first selective licensing scheme - where landlords must register, hold a £725 licence for properties and comply with conditions - to combat some irresponsible landlords letting overcrowded, noisy or unsanitary houses.

Residents have also complained of litter and gangs congregating after many Roma and Slovak people moved to the area - with tensions rising in recent months.

Harry Harpham, Sheffield Council’s cabinet member for homes and neighbourhoods, said the scheme would help to reduce anti-social behaviour by finding problems early and requiring tenancy agreements.

He added: “This is the area that has the worst standards of housing, it is where we get most complaints about tenancy issues, and there are the wider aspects of anti-social behaviour.

“It’s not right that landlords think their responsibility is simply to take rent money from tenants and then walk away - they have a wider responsibility both to tenants and to the wider community as well. We don’t think all landlords are living up to those.”

Page Hall is the only Sheffield area where house prices still fall - which the council hopes will also change.

Homes on Page Hall Road, Willoughby, Wade, Lloyd, Robey, Hinde and Popple streets will be targeted as, in consultation, residents said they had the most problems. The rest of Page Hall will have a voluntary scheme if plans are approved by council cabinet members next Wednesday.

Landlords who don’t comply could be prosecuted. A £145,000 Government grant would help towards the £238,000 costs.

Great news, let's hope the landlords abide by this register and the tenants start appreciating the environment they live in.

Pity the council can't lead by example with there own duties towards their tenants and environments.

Pity the council can't lead by example with there own duties towards their tenants and environments.

The people in my office who are in council housing are always taking time off to meet workman making repairs at their homes, so I don't think the comparison is fair.

I can only echo boyfriday's comment above.

what about over crowding, sub letting, noise and behavior in and around where they live or doesn't it happen in council stock?

We have a couple of houses on the streets that come under this licencing scheme, they have all been modernised and are up to standard so I'm a bit peed off that we will have to pay £725 for each one to get a licence.

I would rather the council gave landlords the power to kick problem tenants out within 7 days rather than bringing the houses upto standards that some of the councils own houses can't meet but than that would leave the council with the problem of re housing these people which they can't do.

Yes some of the rental houses are dumps I think only the dump houses should have been targeted.

Edited by mafya

Half wont register as it means they have to spend money and then take more responsibility about who they let there propertys out to. Half let them out to the unwanted slovac scrubbers currently living in them and charging by the family. I was at mine today and the slovacs were playing music at full blast and the house was a **** tip. i`d say get rid of the scrubbers back to where they came from and let the houses out to decent people with a bit of self respcet in stead of the scrubbers currently in there now

We have a couple of houses on the streets that come under this licencing scheme, they have all been modernised and are up to standard so I'm a bit peed off that we will have to pay £725 for each one to get a licence.

I would rather the council gave landlords the power to kick problem tenants out within 7 days rather than bringing the houses upto standards that some of the councils own houses can't meet but than that would leave the council with the problem of re housing these people which they can't do.

Yes some of the rental houses are dumps I think only the dump houses should have been targeted.

What is a problem tenant? Mucky? Loud music? A different colour? Sexuality? Better to use existing legislation (Anti social behaviour) than a quick fix in order to shake irresponsible landlords up

Great news, let's hope the landlords abide by this register and the tenants start appreciating the environment they live in.

Yes and with hard work time and effort, teaching migrants to the UK to appreciate their environment, no doubt the area will be up to the high standards of pre Roma Darnall, Burngreave etc

rotherham council or on with the same...... about time !

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 19:52 ----------

whats £ 725 .... should be no problem to get that back.... it will sort good form the bad ...dont you think ??

yes another discriminatory money money making scheme from Sheffield City Council.

another reason to vote UKIP?

They should extend the license across the entire city. Landlords already charge the maximum they can, we'd just be clawing a bit back.

They should also make sure landlords are declaring their income for tax purposes.