Trade and other discounts

Some stores give discount the trade, some to pensioners and some to students.

I have been in a store and shopped elsewhere because they gave student discount, but that did not apply to my daughter as a school student.

All these discounts are rather unfair.

How can Joe public get a discount in ordinary stores?

Joe Public can't get a discount in most stores. Discounts are given for a specific need or reward for a specific behaviour; by definition, "Joe Public" doesn't have this need or behave in the way that the store wishes to reward, "Joe Public" is the pool from the specifically chosen are drawn.

There is however nothing to stop you asking for a discount in owner-operated shops.

We're about to buy some tiles, and the ones we want are already on offer, but we could always ask for a further discount. As the store is only staffed by the owner, it is possible to ask for a discount and there is a possibility that we would get it, depending on how persuasive we are and how much the owner needs to make in profit.

This just isn't possible in stores where the owner is not present on a daily basis. The staff in such stores have to operate within the store's policy, which will be "no discounts unless sanctioned by the owner/management".

So, pick your target sensitively, negotiate hard and you could well get a very generous discount even though you are "Joe Public".

I have sometimes suggested that I am only willing to pay a rounded down price (say £220 instead of £226.18) and had my offer accepted.

Edited by tlangdon12

Trade discount is earned by the amounts of goods that are bought,the amounts are massive compared to joe public.

B and Q are stopping there OAP discount, to give everyone a fair price. ?

Student discount only stands for people who either have a valid NUS card, or valid student card from a college. Same with the NHS, Blue light, and other cards. It's supposedly to reward those who are either giving back to the community, or in further education.

i tried those once, i gave up, it was too much hassle remembering to always go through those when you want to buy something lol

B and Q are stopping there OAP discount, to give everyone a fair price. ?

A lot of stuff is dearer in there anyway, I use Screwfix (same company) or Toolstation usually for anything DIY.

Some stores give discount the trade, some to pensioners and some to students.

I have been in a store and shopped elsewhere because they gave student discount, but that did not apply to my daughter as a school student.

All these discounts are rather unfair.

By being in a category that is rewarded. Become a policing sort, or a nursing sort. They get huge discounts. IS that fair? Well they dont earn as much as me so I'm not that worried that some stores give a discount..

A lot of stuff is dearer in there anyway, I use Screwfix (same company) or Toolstation usually for anything DIY.

Me too. Ian

Yes kevvy and ian,screwfix is handy if you like waiting for next day delivery for overpriced fixings.The internet is the place to buy these days,loads cheaper than screwfix/b&q.

Yes kevvy and ian,screwfix is handy if you like waiting for next day delivery for overpriced fixings.The internet is the place to buy these days,loads cheaper than screwfix/b&q.

Perhaps you should organise your jobs so you have what you need in hand, rather than waiting until you actually need them ! Not really had an issue with their prices.