Cultural appropriation, a complete non-issue?

Is cultural appropriation even a thing?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is cultural appropriation even a thing?

• Yes, it's justified to call people out for it
    • No, not really it's fine to emulate other cultures
    • Other (please explain in post)

apparently jamie oliver has just been called out for calling a rice dish "jerk"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45246009

really so what call it whatever you want.

I think the issue here is that the Jerk rice doesn’t actually contain any Jerk ingredients ie allspice and scotch bonnet peppers....

I think the issue here is that the Jerk rice doesn’t actually contain any Jerk ingredients ie allspice and scotch bonnet peppers....

and sometimes curries that should have lamb in them but dont??:suspect:

and sometimes curries that should have lamb in them but dont??:suspect:

They get prosecuted if caught so maybe Jaime should also get prosecuted for misleading people? :)

If Dawn Butler had called him out over just that, it might not have been so bad. Its the phrase

This appropriation from Jamaica needs to stop.

That caused the problem.

Its backfired on her even more now that people have found other instances where she's dressed up in other cultural clothing (Indian, Iranian, Scottish). Plus its dragged up her other mistakes.

They get prosecuted if caught so maybe Jaime should also get prosecuted for misleading people? :)

Is "jerk" registered and protected by law as traditional specialty?

There are a lot worse things for Dawn Butler to be concerned with rather than cultural appropriation, such as the three shootings in Brent last night.

Braids originate from ancient Namibia. Dawn Butler is British-Jamaican! What a ridiculous tweet!

---------- Post added 21-08-2018 at 11:21 ----------

There are a lot worse things for Dawn Butler to be concerned with rather than cultural appropriation, such as the three shootings in Brent last night.

Ricism is important! Lol.

And another Labour MP with plenty of time on her hands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-kent-45298189

Maybe I should be a bit Kinder to Ms Duffield considering she's is also a bit of a hypocrite.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/27/new-labour-mp-stood-anti-grammar-school-platform-election-sent/amp/

Wouldn't it be classed as cultural appropriation to pretend to be down with the working classes by calling for the end of grammar schools?

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Wouldn't it be classed as cultural appropriation to pretend to be down with the working classes by calling for the end of grammar schools?

Obviously not.

It's all very odd. Do only convicted murderers get to play murderers? Can a married person depict an unmarried person?

Marriage and murder are not mutually cultural....

Well, thematically, clearly there are different people who are employed for the 007 role (odd that they're all called James tho). Otherwise, James would be like 100 by now. Also, it's clearly set in the modern day (just look at the cars and gadgets) where a lot of English people are non-white.

I'd have zero issues with a black bond, the only concern would be how entertaining he was.

---------- Post added 17-07-2018 at 21:08 ----------

Actually, I think on reflection, it's a poor comparison. A Black Panther, would be specifically a black person; there's no such specificity with the James Bond 007 character.

Well the back story of James Bond is he is the son of Scottish aristocrat, Andrew Bond & Swiss aristocrat, Monique Delacroix. Therefore while we are discussing a fictional character, it does suggest James Bond is a white character.

I'd be quite happy to see someone like Idris Elba play the role, as long as we can have someone like Martin Freeman in a remake of 'Shaft'.

Well the back story of James Bond is he is the son of Scottish aristocrat, Andrew Bond & Swiss aristocrat, Monique Delacroix. Therefore while we are discussing a fictional character, it does suggest James Bond is a white character.

I'd be quite happy to see someone like Idris Elba play the role, as long as we can have someone like Martin Freeman in a remake of 'Shaft'.

How did you feel when 5'2" Tom cruise played 6'5" jack reacher?